Unlocked iPhone = no forcced data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by longchina, Nov 8, 2011.

1. longchina macrumors newbie

longchina

Hey guys~

Is that true that when you spend about $600 to buy an 【unlocked iPhone】, you will be exempted from the mandatory monthly data plan (for AT&T)?

Any input will be appreciated!

=)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    They will still add an iPhone data plan on post paid accounts.
    You can go without data on AT&T but you will have to use a prepaid sim.

3. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

no point is getting iphone without data any way

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I still think there is a point and not everyone has the same needs when using a particular device.
    I couldn't go without a data plan but there's many out there that don't want one.
    Sucks that they have no option besides going to prepaid or going with tmobile.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's funny, AT&T is the only GSM provider that will mandate a data plan on a customer owned and maintained device (as far as I know).

I work for Glentel and in the Atlantic region (where I work) we sell Bell, Rogers and Virgin (owned by Bell in Canada). People bring in unlocked/outright iPhones all the time and opt for the $20/mo talk and text plan. None of our providers enforce it unless the phone was subsidized and the user is currently on contract.

6. scousers macrumors member

umm..... i bought direct from apple here in canada and when i went to the US a few weeks ago i bought a gophone micro sim from at&t store and have the iphone 4s on prepaid basis down there for when i visit. no data, only voice and text. serves my needs perfectly.

still do have a regular 6gb data plan w/unltd nationwide calling in canada though through Virgin.

if i ever need data in the US i can buy data packages on demand too from gophone.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In the US all official carriers that sell the iphone AT&T, Verizon and Sprint mandate an iphone data plan.
    But I agree the plans up there make much more sense.
    I like that $10 a month cheaper plans that if you bring and use your own device. That's great.