Unlocked iphone still under contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by txmade, Jul 16, 2013.

1. txmade macrumors member

I have a unlocked iPhone 4S that I had unlocked a few weeks ago on eBay. It is unlocked , every time I restore I see the congrats your unlocked message , so I know it worked. My question is : I ordered a tmobile pre paid sim, will it work ? I just literally put the sim in and go? Even thou I am still under contract? I am considering switching. I am going to try the service before I up and break my contract.

Now if I break my contract can AT&T blacklist me, even if my phones are unlocked? I would need to unlock my wife's . How does the blacklisting deal work.

Thanks in advance

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Once unlocked you can use any SIM card.

If you break contract, the carrier will charge you termination fee. If you don't pay termination fee, they'll send it to collecting agency, your credit score will take a hit.

Not sure whether they will even blacklist your iPhone. In theory they could and your phone will stop working on all US carriers.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

They won't blacklist the phone they will just charge you an ETF. If you don't pay the ETF then It will later be reported to debt collectors and affect your credit.

4. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I wouldn't break an obligation that I knowingly agreed too. Its a matter of principle and doing the right thing.

5. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

If you want to use your current iPhones on tmobile, don't. Unless you live in major metro city like Seattle, las Angela's, or New York. Reason is tmobiles 1900 band is pretty spotty and still had small issues, if you want a good expierence on tmobile you will have to get a phone that supports 1700/2100 aws which the only iPhone that supports it right now is a1428 iPhone bought after April 12th.

Also if your eft is huge you can always call tmobile or go to their store and they can give you money to pay your eft.

6. txmade thread starter macrumors member

As far as the service I ordered a sim from tmobile to try out the service around where I live. My wife and I would be updating to the iPhone 5s when it comes out in the fall.

I might find that tmobile service sucks in my area and stick with AT&T .