Unlocked new iPhone release date

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
When do you think the unlocked versions of the new iPhone will be available once it's released. Two weeks? Three weeks?

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
You can buy them unlocked as soon as the phone appears on Apple's website.

pblakk

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
How long after launch does it usually take for Apple to have all carrier models of the iPhone up for retail sale? Assuming of course the same carrier models were already released for upgrade?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You can buy them unlocked as soon as the phone appears on Apple's website.
This hasn't been true for any past launch. The official fully unlocked versions usually aren't available until about a month after launch. Once preorder begins, only carrier subsidized models are available--at least that's how it's worked for the previous few launches.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The unlocked 4S models when on sale about 1 month after the carrier ones launched. Carrier locked ones launched Oct 14, unlocked ones launched Nov 11.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
This hasn't been true for any past launch. The official fully unlocked versions usually aren't available until about a month after launch. Once preorder begins, only carrier subsidized models are available--at least that's how it's worked for the previous few launches.
Yes it has. I live in the UK and Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones on their store website at first launch.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes it has. I live in the UK and Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones on their store website at first launch.
Sorry, we should I both clarified where we live initially. In the USA, in the past it hasn't been available for about a month after launch.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry, we should I both clarified where we live initially. In the USA, in the past it hasn't been available for about a month after launch.
Oh right, I didn't realise that was the case. Luckily, that isn't too long after it has been released!