Unlocked new iPhone release date

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frankied22, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

When do you think the unlocked versions of the new iPhone will be available once it's released. Two weeks? Three weeks?

2. jj47 macrumors regular

You can buy them unlocked as soon as the phone appears on Apple's website.

3. pblakk macrumors member

How long after launch does it usually take for Apple to have all carrier models of the iPhone up for retail sale? Assuming of course the same carrier models were already released for upgrade?

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

This hasn't been true for any past launch. The official fully unlocked versions usually aren't available until about a month after launch. Once preorder begins, only carrier subsidized models are available--at least that's how it's worked for the previous few launches.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

The unlocked 4S models when on sale about 1 month after the carrier ones launched. Carrier locked ones launched Oct 14, unlocked ones launched Nov 11.

6. jj47 macrumors regular

Yes it has. I live in the UK and Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones on their store website at first launch.

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sorry, we should I both clarified where we live initially. In the USA, in the past it hasn't been available for about a month after launch.

8. jj47 macrumors regular

Oh right, I didn't realise that was the case. Luckily, that isn't too long after it has been released!

9. pblakk macrumors member

Thanks