Unlocked Phone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maclver, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have never bought a phone off contract at retail pricing, When does apple generally make the off contract phones available for purchase, are they available during preorder or first day of sell?

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Not on release day. Usually the Unlocked version becomes available a month or so after the carrier models.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

But you can buy it as "Device only" and some reported that those are unlocked. I could be wrong.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You are right. However, Apple doesn't sell the contract models (except for T-Mobile) at full retail online. One would have to go into the store to do this. The Verizon model is already unlocked out of the box whether one pays for retail for it or not, though.

5. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Basically what I am wanting to do is pay on Bill Me Later (which can only be done online, I think) but buy the ATT iPhone without signing a two year contract (I don't need it to be unlocked, just don't wanna tie myself down for 2 years)

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Are you talking about the 6- 12- 18- month special financing? If that is what you are talking about, this can also be done at the apple store as well. I believe that you can still buy the phone outright when iphone 6 comes out.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Unlocked iPhones are available on day 1. The "Unlocked with a T-Mobile Sim Card" 5S was available day 1 last year. You just throw away the T-Mobile Sim Card if that's not the carrier you plan to use.

8. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

What about ATT?

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's unlocked so that means it works on AT&T too.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any full price noncontract iphone will work with AT&T besides the Sprint model.
    If you purchase any AT&T, Verizon or T Mobile iphone for full price it will be unlocked and will work fine on AT&T.
    Just don't buy a Sprint one.
    Ever:D

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Apple does not sell the AT&T model without a contract online unless you're doing AT&T NEXT. They do sell the T-Mobile iPhone at full price online which will be unlocked and work fine on any GSM carrier including AT&T.

----------

The OP was asking about purchasing it online at full price. The only carrier model that Apple sells at full price on their website is the T-Mobile model (unlocked).

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, currently about online its only the Tmobile model like you said.
    But the OP is asking a hypothetical question about the next iphone and when it will be available for preorder and launch day full price purchases.
    And in reality no one knows exactly how and what will be sold online and even if the Tmobile iphone 6 will still be up online for full price either.
    So all we can do is guess and wait till its officially announced and more details are given.

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Very true, Applejuiced. We will all know for sure next month. :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can't wait;)

15. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Thanks!

So I called ATT today to make some changes to my account and she informed me that on the MobileShare plan that I am on I currently pay $15.00 per line and if I were to update my phone to the iPhone 6, that would change to $40.00 per phone line I upgraded. She said the only way to avoid that is do the ATT Next Plan, Pay for the phone off contract, or purchase on a site like ebay.....

Does that make sense?

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, those are the options that are available when getting a new phone.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% sure how those next or mobileshare programs work. I don't like either of them.
    But I think you will have to either pay full price for the phone or make monthly payments of $25 into your phone bill towards the phone till its paid off or something.

18. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Yes, it does. It's in the fine print here on AT&T's website:

"If upgrading to a smartphone on a 2-year wireless contract you are no longer eligible for the discounted pricing. To receive this monthly discount, upgrade with AT&T NextSM or pay the full purchase price for your new smartphone."

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

----------

I think AT&T's NEXT Program is good. Either way, customers end up paying full retail for their devices if they plan to keep the discount on their account. At least with NEXT one doesn't have to pay the full retail value up front and can spread out the payments over time.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but in order to use Next you have to be on a mobile share plan and pay $500 over 20 monthly payments.
    And a $40 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.
    What? I'm bringing my own paid in full device, you're not subsidizing it at all or financing it to me free for 20 months but I'm still penalized?
    Pay $40 for what? I just don't get this type of math the 2 big carriers keep coming up with.

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You do not have to be on a mobile share plan in order to use NEXT. I can use it now and keep my unlimited data plan as well as the discounted Talk and unlimited texting plan that AT&T put me on. Current customers don't pay any activation fee with NEXT. That might be for new customers only.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22. bobright, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

bobright macrumors 601

It seems like this model is frowned upon or something though. So if you compare this one to say a model apple would sell in the store "unlocked" there would be no difference whatsoever? You wouldn't be able to tell them apart?

I dont get why there are threads (not talking about you OP) asking if Apple sells unlocked iPhones online on launch, when the T-Mobile model is supposedly the same. It seems folks have the train of thought oh apple doesn't sell them unlocked online well I'll have to go into the store then.:confused

23. bobright macrumors 601

Whew thought they changed things up good

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Well, there is a question that has not been asked.....

..... other than a few hundred times this week.

----------

I think the $40 fee sucks as well.

But, you must agree that ATT has to do something to activate that phone on their network. So, I sort of get a fee... but then again - it sucks.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They don't really have to do anything besides put an AT&T sim inside the phone and use it.