Unlocking 5s through AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stw85, Oct 4, 2014.

1. stw85 macrumors member

I received my iPhone 6 and activated it. I decided to have my 5s unlocked before selling it and AT&T sent me the email below. Do I have to restore my phone on iTunes to unlock my phone or is there another way? I already reset my 5s before requesting the unlock from AT&T so when I turn on the phone it wants to set up like a new phone. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. cymolia macrumors 6502a

I also received that email from att for my 5, for the life of me i cant get the congratulations your iphone is unlocked message in itunes. Restored close to 6 times with no luck. No idea if my phone is still locked

3. Laptis macrumors newbie

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

At this point you really don't need to do anything. Your phone is unlocked. When the party that receives your phone tries to restore it, they will get the unlock message and be able to use any Sim card they want. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it and just go ahead and sell it and send it to the third-party.

5. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I've also recieved the AT&T email that says to restore and haven't recieved the 'Congradulations' message after restoring. I took the iPhone 5 to T-Mobile to see if it was unlocked anyway and it wasn't.

So I don't know what the deal is either.

6. stw85 thread starter macrumors member

I just connected my 5s to iTunes to see what would happened and I immediately got the "Congratulations your phone is unlocked" message without backing anything up. Thank you all for your answers.

7. cc999 macrumors 6502

unlock

Same thing here, hooked up into iTunes and got the "Congratulations your phone is unlocked" immediately.

CC

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The email doesn't mean the phone is unlocked. To "finish" unlocking it, you have to restore from iTunes. As long your carrier has unlocked the device on their end, any 3rd party buyer can "finish" the unlock when they restore the iPhone from iTunes.