Unlocking 5s when asleep

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiantech, Sep 21, 2013.

1. kiantech macrumors regular

Something I just thought of when I was laying in bed, if someone came into my room while sleeping, they could unlock my phone with my finger right?

I'm not too worried as I lock my phone to keep out strangers not friends, but if you have a nosey significant other, be aware haha.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

I generally tend to wake up if someone grabs my hand and holds it up to my iPhone.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Or they could just grab your phone and hold it up to your hand.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I was about to say, the OP must be a really heavy sleeper lol

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Perhaps, but with heavy sedation like alcohol or Ambien--it could be done pretty easily.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

If you are living with people that cause this to be a concern, then there are some things that you need to seriously rethink about your life.

7. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

You mean to tell me, Apple didn't put in a sleep detection algorithm? That's it, I'm going to Android...

:rolleyes:

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Many of us have shared a dorm with great people, that, like many college kids, like to be pranksters. ;)

I see the OP as having a valid concern.

9. bumblehat macrumors regular

I can imagine a nosy boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife could be tempted to do this sometime, but you're right.

10. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

They still have to press your thumb into it hard enough to depress the home button. That would wake most people up, I'm sure.

And if you're that concerned about it. Just reboot your phone before going to sleep. That will force the next access to use the passcode.

11. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

i thought of this last night and i am a heavy sleeper. It takes 15 alarms in the morning for me to wake up. I will easily sleep through someone using my finger to unlock. I guess i will just use a random finger giving me higher chance of waking up :p

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

LOL! When I was young and living in the dorm, there were no cell phones to worry about.

13. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Pretty easy to hide anything on your phone that you don't want seen. Not really a big concern.

14. tharepairguy macrumors member

Or just be a decent person when it comes to your significant other and you should have nothing to worry about :)

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If this is a real problem for you use your tit, a toe or a cat paw for added security.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Wrong. They could press the home button or sleep wake to activate screen. Then just lay the phone on your finger very lightly. Did it plenty times.

I'm not worried about it personally. Just was responding to someone who made it sound like they had to move your hand to the phone. Rather then the phone to your hand.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's funny people think this is not a security issue, because it is and you will soon read hundreds of stories of how someone's iPhone 5S was broken into at night.

Even if you are a light sleeper you will not wake up if someone takes your phone and holds it to your finger. There is little pressure needed. What could go wrong? Lets see...

1. Someone can send emails on your behalf.
    2. Someone can take photos of you or steal photos off your phone and email to themselves.
    3. Someone could send Tweets from your Twitter account.
    4. Someone could post content on your FaceBook page or even remove/add friends.
    5. And, if you're native enough to have bank account apps on your phone...well, that's all I need to say.

There are hundreds of things that could go wrong, and don't think adults don't have roommates. If you do you clearly have never lived in a major city. Also, most college students have roommates.

Just watch. The stories will be rolling in. Will be entertaining.

18. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

19. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

If anyone is really concerned about this, and wants to keep using the scanner, there are multiple viable options:

1: reboot your phone before bed. This will force the next access to require the pass code.
    2: Go into settings and turn off fingerprint's ability to unlock the phone before sleep
    3: wear gloves to bed that are hard to remove

:)

Seriously, if I was in some shady spot where I was concerned about someone manipulating my phone/body at night, I would just turn off the fingerprint unlock option via settings.

I still don't think it'd be as easy as people think to do this without you waking. You'd have to be a really deep sleeper, your hand/finger would have to already be exposed and in a cooperative position.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I sleep with my hand down my crouch, so if someone wants to give me a hand… be my guest!

21. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

this will be entertaining because the bigger issue is obviously somebody breaking into your house and using your finger to unlock your iPhone is a bigger deal than the fact your house got broken into in the first place.

And if its somebody you live with, then you obviously need to set some boundaries with them.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lmao! Awesome!
    I didn't know you were in Shanghai now! Nicel! :)

23. yegon macrumors 68020

It's of no concern to me, but OP makes a valid point. Could easily be done if the perp presses the home button then presses the home button onto the finger. I've just tried this method on myself, it works and I can't imagine it'd wake me up.

Anyway, eoblaed already proffers a solution;

24. fark macrumors regular

Yes, every oddball scenario anyone dreams up has merit....and every child deserves a trophy just for trying. :rolleyes: