Unlocking a Verizon 4S for international

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biohead, Oct 2, 2012.

1. biohead macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Decided windows phone isn't for me, but neither are the extortionate prices of the iPhone. (My lumia cost me £90, as good as the iPhone is, it isn't worth an extra £440).

But I've been looking into purchasing a Verizon or Sprint 4S from the US and getting the SIM slot unlocked as I'll be using it in the UK. Although readily available unlocks are all over eBay for $10 or so, I can't find any for Verizon or Sprint. As I'm not in the US, I won't be taking a contract out so I can request the international unlock myself. My reasoning for going this route is its substantially cheaper, especially in the case of ones with a bad ESN which I won't need.

In my situation, will I have to try and find a 4S that already has its sim slot unlocked? Also, anyone looking to sell their 4S and willing to post to the UK? I have a thread in the marketplace if you do.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Shouldn't matter which carrier it originates from if you're using it in the UK. Also a bad ESN won't affect you either since you won't be using it on Verizon or Sprint. Bad ESN shouldn't affect GSM.

4. biohead thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot the 4S is cheaper, but it's the same arguement really, just £360 more than the lumia rather than £440.

Figured the ESN bit doesn't matter... But the problem would be the sim slot is still locked. I have found one online Verizon unlocked, but it does require a good ESN.