Unlocking an iPhone 4 through AT&T but without an AT&T contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by usc2014, Aug 6, 2012.

1. usc2014 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone could help me unlock an iPhone 4 I bought on Craigslist. For a year, I've been using GEVEY sim to use 4.3.5 on my iPhone 4. I would like to get an official unlock by Apple, so that I can update my iOS. I do not want to use any 3rd party companies to unlock my phone anymore.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

buy a factory unlocked phone directly from Apple.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Is it an AT&T phone? I believe that a iPhone 4 that originally came locked can only be unlocked by the original account holder if the contract expired and the account was in good standing. Not sure about Verizon.

4. usc2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is an AT&T iPhone. I bought it from CL's. I want to know if there is a way to unlock it because I don't have an AT&T wireless account. I called Customer support again and they said that I must have an account, but I have t-mobile.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Try eBay. There are plenty of reliable sellers (check feedback) that will do it for 30 to 40 dollars. :cool:

6. Jasper84 macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone 4s AT&T on eBay I called at&t customer service I gave them my 4s imei Number told them I had purchased it on eBay and that I was using straight talk service and that I'd like to have my 4s unlocked nice lady took all my 4s info and she forwarded the info to the department that handles unlocks and she gave me a service ticket number she said it coud take up to a week but it was only a day or two the next time I synced my 4s to iTunes at the end a message came up saying your iPhone has been successfully unlocked I was just very friendly and polite and she responded hope this helps you

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would try to contact the person you bought the phone from and ask them to either provide you with the account information or have them contact ATT to request an unlock.

But, considering you had the phone for over a year, it may be hard to track that person down.

You can also try what Jasper did, but I think he got lucky and the "right CS rep" answered his call.

8. RNVarma macrumors regular

I had the original iPhone that I never activated on AT&T service, and I recently called up AT&T to get it unlocked. I wasn't even a subscriber on AT&T, and they unlocked my phone.

9. usc2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks @Givmeabrek and @Jasper84. I purchased the unlock code service on eBay for $35.98. Now I can use my iPhone 4 on T-mobile.

I was wondering if your iMessages still appear green?
    Mine was blue for 2 messages, then the rest went back to green. I don't have a data plan with T-mobile.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

That was helpful, did you even read past the first sentace or title??

11. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

More helpful than yours.

12. Jasper84 macrumors regular

This link explains the green and blue bubbles. what I've gathered from the link below iMessage is blue, text is green and the colors change depending on what type of device the person your contacting has. Hope this was helpful I'm not too familiar with tmobile I'm using straight talk on my unlocked AT&T 4s

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/25/how-to-tell-if-youre-sending-an-imessage-or-a-text-on-ios-5/

13. vagski macrumors newbie

hi unlock any sim card

hello if you still having problems to unlock your iphone, we can help you to unlock for life time...write me what is your IMEI number and you wrote that the carier is AT&T...Correct?

14. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I bought from fusionunlock @ ebay unlock for 8$ ! read my previous thread.

I'm starting to enjoy my iphone after 2 years of nightmares (ultrasn0w upgrades)

15. vagski macrumors newbie

hi again if anyone having problems to unlock his iphone write us..we can unlock all versions (is not a jailbrake or cheney cart or other cart)

16. LadyPink macrumors newbie