Unlocking an iPhone 4?

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all,

My SO's mom was given an iPhone 4 that comes from the UK.

It is locked to one of the UK networks. Is there anyway to unlock it to be used here in SA?

Thanks!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi all,

My SO's mom was given an iPhone 4 that comes from the UK.

It is locked to one of the UK networks. Is there anyway to unlock it to be used here in SA?

Thanks!
You would need to get which ever carrier the iPhone was locked to in the UK to unlock, or purchase an IMEI unlock for it.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
which UK network?
I beliveve it's either O2UK or Vodafone - I will find out.

You can also buy a Turbo Sim but the IMEI unlock would be the better option.
Having a look online it seems like the IMEI method is better.

From my understanding you provide them your IMEI number and in a few days they provide you with an unlock code to type into the phone?
Thus unlocking it from the carrier?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I beliveve it's either O2UK or Vodafone - I will find out.

Having a look online it seems like the IMEI method is better.

From my understanding you provide them your IMEI number and in a few days they provide you with an unlock code to type into the phone?
Thus unlocking it from the carrier?
You can either get the unlock from the carrier if they provide it or buy one from a 3rd party. It's not really a code perse, when you get the notification that your IMEI is unlocked, you'll just need to restore through iTunes.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
You can either get the unlock from the carrier if they provide it or buy one from a 3rd party. It's not really a code perse, when you get the notification that your IMEI is unlocked, you'll just need to restore through iTunes.
Talking of which - the previous owners say that has been done (Requested the unlock from the carrier) however when I connect to iTunes it just tells me carrier sim is invalid?