Unlocking AT&T Next iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRSwish45, Oct 7, 2014.

1. JRSwish45 macrumors newbie

Can anyone please inform me as to if I can contract an unlocking company to unlock an iPhone 6+ if it is purchased via AT&T Next? I've heard varying opinions and figured this was the best place to get some real information...anything I need to worry about with unlocking a phone purchased on the Next plan i.e. fines, cancellations, etc?

THanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is not as easy to unlock AT&T phones anymore.

3. JRSwish45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with those factory unlock sites that use IMEI numbers?

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Yup. They will charge $50-$150, take 7-21 days and there is no guarantee it will work. Often with an update, the unlock breaks again.
    Unfortunately I found out from experience but I wish you the best.

5. erzhik macrumors 6502

What? An update NEVER breaks an unlock, even factory reset will not cancel the unlock. You unlock your device only once in its' lifetime, after that it will always remain as unlocked, no matter what you do to it.

And there are very easy ways to unlock a device on any carrier. You call the carrier and tell them you need an unlock ASAP because you are going onto an international business trip and you need your device to work at all times. I have unlocked 4 phones like that in the last 2 years, while still under contract. If they refuse, call again or go to an online chat.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, AT&T is clamping down on the unlocking. It cost way more and takes a lot more time and sometimes it will still not unlock!

Things have changed now.

I really have no need for unlocking my phone but understand why people need this. AT&T is only trying to protect itself!

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If you pay off your phone AT&T will unlock it for free.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

How do these companies even do the unlocks? (when they do work)

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

They usually have an insider (employee) that has access to the database.

10. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You are correct. All points are valid. An unlock is an unlock.

The issue with these online sites (know people in India that do this) is that they spoof the database into thinking the phone is unlocked and thus the "foreign" sim can be used. Essentially, the foreign sim is spoofed as the "native" sim. Thus updates break the hack and you can go crazy trying to chase these online sites down.

Now, if the OP wants to try, as I said before, I wish him luck.

11. erzhik macrumors 6502

Carriers and manufacturers sell the codes to highest bidders at very low costs. There used to be a free database with all codes many years ago.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never heard of anything of what you're talking about.
    There is no way to spoof a database and then use a foreign sim as native sim.
    Where do you get this from? The activation and unlock is done from the carriers side and those imei unlocks are permanent unlocks. They do not lock again after an update. The IMEI number is entered in the unlock database on the carriers side usually by people that work or have access to it.
    The rest of what you claim is incorrect.

13. NvrEnough macrumors newbie

I unlocked my iphone 6 plus on contract. Att denied me so i paid swiftunlock to do it and it was done in 1 day for 100 bucks.

Careful with ebay dudes. I paid to have it done the first time on ebay and they couldn't do it. Its going to cost you but it can be done.

14. Romelo23 macrumors newbie

AT&T will unlock your iPhone 6+ for free right away if you are a business customer or in the military. They unlocked mine and I did not even have to restore, took about 5 minutes and checked it with a T-Mobile SIM. I'm a business owner and business account holder btw.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks
    Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500. Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year. Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account. In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

15. Chatter macrumors 6502a

If the carrier unlocks the phone, there is no issue. If a 3rd party unlocks it over the interwebs, there can be. IMEI spoofing is how they do it - not with some "inside agent" quietly adding numbers to a database. Feel free to google this info if you so desire.

But whatever works for you. Its not worth arguing about. Best wishes to the OP and hope you have a good evening.

16. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

COMPLETELY UNTRUE, I have first hand experience in this field and this is not how unlocks are done. They are permanent and done directly via Apple.

What you are describing is what chips like R-SIM and Gevey did in the past, they no longer work on latest iOS 8 on all iPhones. They are and were always the biggest waste of money because you cannot update your iOS and it is nothing more than a temporary unlock. People in developing countries don't understand the technical details so they just go with what they are given.

I would never recommend you or anyone to go with temporary unlock.

Find a reliable website and get it unlocked permanently.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's clearly not how they do it. I had over a dozen iPhones over the past few years imei unlocked and they are all permanently unlocked forever.
    Even after Apple replaced the phone the replacement was fully unlocked since the imei unlocked transfers down to the replacement phone given by Apple.
    You should google and learn at least the basics before you make up wild stories about unlock spoofing or whatever you claim.

18. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I am schooled. Thank you.

----------

Correct. We were not talking about "proper" unlocks. I think there were too many comments going back and forth and that got lost somehow.

19. JRSwish45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great insight guys...does anyone have any experience of knowledge on unlocking phones with an AT&T Next contract rather than a normal 2 year deal?

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

pay full price, $100 to 3rd party unlocker or have it locked

21. protox macrumors regular

Anyone know the reason for a 5 limit? What if you have 10 lines all on the NEXT plan and all need to unlock? Seems rather silly. I have 4 on the NEXT plan and an old 5S. What if, I wanted to add another family member and they're on the NEXT plan, will they be denied?