Unlocking iPhone 4 ATT from European telcos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thh420, Feb 18, 2012.

1. thh420 macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 4, since AT&T, won't unlock it, could it be possible for a European wireless telcom to unlock it?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

An AT&T iPhone is locked to AT&T and no one will unlock it. Not AT&T. Not a European Carrier. No One.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Only the carrier where it came from can unlock the phone. If they allow unlocking that is. However, it the phone is from AT&T, it is permanently locked to AT&T and they will not unlock the iphone for any circumstances.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not even if you offer them your firstborn!

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Agree not only won't they they can't! if your moving sell it and buy it in Europe!

6. thh420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not moving there, but I was going to sell it to my cousin who is a flight attendant. He goes overseas almost everyday, and since his 4s is on sprint the rates are murder, and he wanted to get a unlocked one. Thanks to everyone for the help. This 4.11.08 baseband crap sucks, I wish the guy I bought it from hadn't updated to 5.0.1 before he sold it to me. I hope devteam or someone can figure it out sooner or later.

7. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

If he's on Sprint, they can unlock the sim portion of the phone for international use so he can use a local sim there. He's in a better position than having AT&T who won't even consider doing something like this.

8. thh420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, the CDMA ones have a sim slot too? He said he called and had his unlocked by sprint, but I have no hands on with the sprint or Verizon 4s models. So he can just pop a mini simcard in, and set it to use that company's network in settings, and start talking? If so he is going to have a creepy BUENO.jpg grin and finally get me my heineken tour shirt from holland.:p

9. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Yes sir... the 4s is universal (CDMA with GSM and CDMA is disabled in GSM provider's phones but not vice versa). You can send me a shirt too...LOL.

10. thh420, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

thh420 thread starter macrumors newbie

What size you want? :) Thanks, I'm going to call him in the morn Ing and let him know, he's going to DEFINITELY going to be happy. I was going to get Att with it, but since the identy theft that happened to me a few years ago (my brother and birth dad ruined my credit), i was quoted 500 for a deposit, refundable in a year, but I don't have 500$ to drop on service, even if it is an awesome phone, which it is, I love fooling around with it and using it as a very expensive Skype phone. I haven't tried the buy a go phone sim way of using it, that AT&T shutdown, I might just eBay it. It's in perfect shape as well, and I have had it in a Magpul case since I got it, how much should I start a auction for it at?

11. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I think Craigslist is still the best place to sell a phone. You get your cash right away and no possibility of Paypal chargebacks or scams. Just take some precautions - meet in a public place like Starbucks and maybe bring a friend as backup.