Unlocking iPhone - Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GarrettL1979, Aug 29, 2014.

1. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 that I'm planning to sell to Gazelle (I'm upgrading to a 6). You receive more money if you sell an unlocked phone, of course, and this seems fairly easy to do with AT&T. I just have a few quick questions first:

Can you still use AT&T's service after unlocking your phone? In other words, should I do this now prior to receiving my new phone next month?

Also, I have been an unlimited plan still. Will unlocking my phone affect this? Any other contract issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will still work on ATT, it just opens the door to use the phone on other carriers.

It should not affect your unlimited plan since you're not really making any changes to the plan.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, you can still use AT&T service after unlocking and it will not affect your unlimited plan. The unlock usually takes less than a day to complete.
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I just did this and the unlock came through in just 7 hours.

EDH667: Do I really have to backup & restore my iPhone to get the unlock to work like it says in the instruction email?

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

No, Just put in a different than AT&T SIM in and attach to iTunes.

6. inboxer macrumors regular

There are services you can use to check the unlock status after you sent the request to AT&T. Also, you might want to check out other sites that may offer you a bit more for your unlocked phone. Gazelle's prices are usually on the lower end of the reputable trade in sites.

7. GarrettL1979 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

My unlock came in 20 minutes. Yes. After the restore the phone was unlocked for me.