Unlocking Irish iPhone for use on UK networks with Ultrasn0w

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by elliottg61, Jul 4, 2011.

1. elliottg61 macrumors newbie

Hello there, I have on opportunity to pick up an iPhone 3GS for a very cheap price, but it is locked to o2 ie (o2 Ireland).

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if using ultrasn0w to unlock the Irish iPhone will allow it to be used on UK networks? (I am on 3 network)

Many thanks in advance! Elliott.

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

What baseband is on the phone?
    What software is it running?

It may be cheap because it can't be unlocked.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All 3GS and 3G iphones can currently be unlocked by installing the ipad bb.

4. elliottg61 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replys, i am not sure what baseband and software it is running yet as i do not own the phone yet

and when you say all iphone 3g and 3gs models can be unlocked with the ipad baseband does this mean i will definately be able to unlock the phone for use on uk networks?

thanks again

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Yea
    I wouldn't personally use the iPad baseband hack
    Your gps will stop working and you can't restore using stock iTunes firmware.

You could get a factory unlocked one for about £200

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It is a pain and has some drawbacks.
    Read up on it to see if you want to go for it.
    If not try to get an unlocked one or one that hasnt been updated to anything higher than 4.0.2 so you can unlock using ultrasnow without the bs of the ipad BB.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You should find out the bb and iOS before you buy it. The bb is obviously the most important for your situation.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Ask the seller for the firmware and the baseband. Firmware is listed under Version and the baseband is Modem Firmware in the Settings > General > About menu.

If the baseband is too high for unlocking, you will have to use Redsn0w to install the baseband from the iPad, which will make your phone unlockable. Then install Ultrasn0w and you're unlocked.

Unfortunately, there are cons to this method. You will lose GPS functionality and you will also not be able to restore or update to stock Apple firmware (ie: restore and update normally through iTunes) and you will have to use programs like Sn0wbreeze (Win) or Pwnagetool (Mac) to create custom firmwares for you to restore to.