Unlocking issues with Vodafone/Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justjax, Aug 21, 2013.

1. justjax macrumors regular

So I got an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store last Sept on contract with Vodafone UK. Contract is up next month and I want to switch providers. So I used the VF webpage to request my iPhone to be unlocked and a few days later I got an email saying they couldn't unlock it and to contact them. Called them and they said it had to be unlocked by Apple. Went to Apple store and they say, nonsense, they can't unlock it, VF need to do it. After that, I remembered Apple swapped my handset a few days after I originally got it, so I think the problem is down to VF having a different IMEI number number attached to my account/contract.

I found a VF page that said if the handset had been swapped by a third party then then they either have to unlock it or provide VF with the correct IMEI number for VF to do it. If the IMEI number doesn't match, I'm guessing thats why my original request with failed .. so how to do I get Apple to update VF with the correct IMEI number so I can get the darn thing unlocked?

2. pmau macrumors 65816

If you have any written document that can proof the exchange by Apple, simply FAX it to Vodafone telling them that Apple has exchanged it without registering.

As long as you can proof that the exchange happened, Vodafone should be willing to unlock. Just stay calm and be nice. They can certainly see your contract is up, so they don't really lose anything ...

3. justjax thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure if I do have anything? Do the Apple store normally give you a receipt or something? I don't remember getting anything?

4. pmau macrumors 65816

They certainly have to enter the exchange in their inventory because they gave you a phone. You probably have to go back to the store, show them the new phone (serial number) and ask them for a receipt for Vodafone.

But honestly, I always order my phones at Apple's online store, because carriers are complicating everything.

Buy your phone unlocked, drink two beers to forget the horrendous purchasing price and let every warranty be handled by Apple support.

PS: I know it's a stupid remark, but Apple is way more friendly if you bought directly from them.

5. justjax thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I'll try that.

To be honest that was originally the plan but I missed the pre-order and then everytime I tried getting one form the store they didn't have any stock so after almost a week of trying I gave up and got it on a 12 month contract.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, when you get something exchanged or repaired at Apple, they always give you a receipt detailing the repair/exchange.

7. justjax thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I must have misplaced it. Anyway, I called Apple and they are sending me proof of exchange so I can give that to Vodafone so they'll update the IMEI number they have to the correct one ... and then I'll be able to get the unlock code.

8. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

You won't be getting any unlock code, vodafone will simply put your imei in the database then your phone would be unlocked. To see the proof, you would need to restore the phone and they will usually ask you to do so. However, I didn't restore the phone when I got mine unlocked and it still worked on a different carrier.