Unlocking my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Komentra, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Komentra macrumors member

Hello everyone. I purchased a 32gb iPhone 4 (GSM AT&T) which was factory unlocked and when it arrived it was running iOS 5.1.1. I planned on using it on a different network and was just waiting for my sim card to arrive in the mail.

Now, i'm pretty new to this and didn't realize if I updated to the newest version of iOS that it would relock the device. Now it keeps asking for a sim to activate, I had the idea in my head Unlocked meant that I didn't need a sim card to proceed. (Obviously wrong)

I been doing a lot of reading and it seems that you can't unlock iOS 6 and you can't downgrade to 5.1.1 without SHSH Blobs (which, honestly, i have no idea what those are). I downloaded the 5.1.1 IPSW and tried various things to downgrade but nothing has helped.

Spent nearly 400 bucks when you add in the sim card I purchased and the first month of the plan and now it looks like It just a waste. Anyone have any ideas on how I can unlock it on iOS 6 or go back to iOS 5.1.1 from iOS 6 without the use of SHSH blobs or anything else that might help? I'd really appreciate it.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean you purchased it factory unlocked?
    If it was really unlocked it would never lock to any carrier. No matter how many times your restore or upgrade.
    You sure you didnt use a gevey sim adapter to unlock with 5.1.1
    Something doesnt make sense here.
    Also a factory unlocked 32GB iphone doesnt go for $400, that's the price you pay under contract and its locked to AT&T.
    If you bought it full price for $749 plus tax it would have been unlocked.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Buy a factory unlock. I bought one for $16 for my iPhone 4S from seller Unlock Fusion on eBay. They promise an unlock within 24 hours or something (mine took a little longer but didn't bother me since it wasn't urgent). All they need is your iPhone's IMEI number and it doesn't matter what version of iOS it's running.

EDIT: As Applejuiced pointed out, it wasn't factory unlocked to begin with if it relocked after you updated the firmware. You may want to revisit that with the seller since it was misrepresented to you.

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Do you know for certain that you iPhone was unlocked when you got it? What network were you planning to use it on? Have you tried using a sim on it from THAT network?

Merely updating to the new IOS should NOT lock an unlocked phone. It should STAY unlocked.
    As for the sim card, you WILL need one to use it on whatever network you intend to use it on. I'm assuming that, because it's an iPhone 4, it had already been activated on AT&T. If not, it has to be first.
    Do you have the sim for AT&T, or a way to contact the seller and get the original AT&T sim?

That's not accurate. You CAN, indeed unlock a phone with IOS6. If you can't get AT&T to do it (and it seems that you should be able to because you are off contract), try these guys (for example):

http://unlockfusion.com/products-and-services/iphone-special/

They are a LOT less hassle than dealing with AT&T.

Don't add going back to 5.1.1 to the things on your list. Stay on IOS6, get it unlocked at an e-bay based unlocked service and get the sim from the provider you intend to use it on.
    For all practical purposes, you won't be able to downgrade to 5.1.1, so don't spend effort on that.

5. Komentra thread starter macrumors member

No, The phone itself was $306 with shipping. I'm saying it came out to nearly $400 after I bought a Micro SIM and a the first month of a different carrier.

I have have no idea what a "Gevey Sim Adapter" is. I didn't unlock it myself when it was on 5.1.1. I purchased it and it claimed to be factory unlocked.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Ok, then its 100% it wasnt factory unlocked.
    The $300 price is for the locked subsidized model.
    The unlocked one is $749 plus tax.
    What made you think its factory unlocked bought under contract?

7. Komentra thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. I bought it from a seller on eBay who claimed it was factory unlocked and I didn't think twice about it because he has nearly 1000 positive feedback at 100%.

----------

Okay, I'm a bit confused. I'm talking to the seller on eBay now and he's telling me that it is unlocked but ANY sim card will work. He's just saying since I updated it to iOS 6 it's asking me to activate it because I have no sim card in the phone.

Like I said in my original post, I'm waiting for the Micro SIM that I want to use to arrive in the mail. Which should be tomorrow.

----------

Also just purchased a unlock from Unlock Fusion and whenever I insert my IMEI it says "Duplicate IMEI".

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

then it is unlocked lol

9. Komentra thread starter macrumors member

Oh, well, awesome. I mentioned that I didn't have a sim card in the very first post and people told me it shouldn't be doing that after I update so I got confused.

10. Meybora macrumors newbie

What is Duplicate IMEI mean? Is it mean that u wanna unlock a unlocked phone?

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

From searching on Google. Duplicate IMEI's are associated with blocked/illegal phones.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you're trying to activate your iPhone with no sim?
    And then you think it's locked?