Unofficial "I Walked into an AT&T Store and Bought an Iphone 3G" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrbdmb, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

This is the unofficial "I Walked into an AT&T Store and Bought an Iphone 3G" thread. Sales on Friday the 11th from AT&Ts original shipments don't count (you lucky stiffs :D ).

I'd just like to know (as would others) if any AT&T stores are getting additional retail stock, or if placing a DF order is the only way to get one right now. There have been a few posts on here that DF orders will be filled before stores get additional retail stock, but I haven't seen anything "official" on this yet. Thanks to all for the info.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Aren't AT&T stores out of stock for another week or so, and haven't they been since July 11th?

3. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Maybe ... but in my case the local AT&T store still claims they "may" get some in this week, and I wanted to see if any other AT&T stores actually get any shipments in.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

My AT&T store doesn't even answer the phone, so there's no way to find out unless I drive 20 minutes to the only store in Savannah Georgia... *sigh*

5. vicfalc09 macrumors member

vicfalc09

I have gone to five different AT&T stores in my area. I think it is safe to say that the store employee's have no idea of what is going on at this point. Every different employee I talk to has a different story. The only thing they have offered me since July 11th is to order the phone through Direct Fulfillment. I have recently heard in the last two days that DF may take up to 21 days to receive if you order now.

At this point I think my only way to get an iPhone 3G is to wait for when the Apple stores in my area get them in stock. I will then have to remove my FAN discount and hopefully add it back on after the phone is purchased. The problem in NJ is that all the Apple stores are out of stock also.

Looks like it is a waiting game at this point. All i know is that I can't keep checking every AT&T store everyday because it is killing way to much gas...and we all know how much gas costs.

Just my two cents I feel better now having gotten that off my chest.

6. dstrauss macrumors regular

I know they are stretched thin, but this is way out of line. AT&T stores won't even answer the phone, and you have to physically go there and check - only those who can afford to sit in line day after day have any chance to get one.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What if we skipped? I just want to be clear that I can still post here if I happen to skip into said AT&T store and came out with a phone. :D

8. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I picked one up on saturday, i waited outside for them to let me in for 5 min maybe. I got the last 8 gig and have zero problems.

9. jrbdmb thread starter macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Quote from another thread today ...
    I've seen this enough places to suspect this is nationwide policy for AT&T stores. I'll just patiently wait for my own DF 16GB black to arrive ... :apple:

10. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

Not sure where you are in NJ, but I too have been checking the apple website and just decided to call the store today. Even though the website said no stores had gotten shipments for today, I called Freehold anyway and they had said they just got a shipment in this morning and that the website isn't always accurate. If you're close by, that may be an idea for you. I'm at work so unfortunately it won't work for me and I'm sure they'll be out by the end of the day today.

11. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

My ATT store told me they wouldn't be getting anymore shipments of iPhones until ALL DF's were fulfilled.

12. Wailord macrumors 6502

I was told the same thing... ETA of August...

13. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Same here. Got tired of waiting and they kept saying, order one in the store, DF will get filled before they get anymore. I ordered a 16G Black last night. She said someone ordered a phone Saturday and it came in on Tuesday.

- James

14. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

On Sunday my dad and I went in to see if our local AT&T store had any in stock...of course they didn't...so they placed an order for him. I still wanted to try to get one at an Apple store though so I held off...and managed to get one after a couple of waits at Apple stores.

Ever since then almost nightly he's been asking to feel my iPhone...he loves the feel of the new one compared to his old one. I agree with him. I got to compare the two last night and the old one always wants to slide out of my hand. The new one is so nice to hold. there's no need for a film to increase the grip on the phone, the plastic back provides plenty of grip.

Considering he paid for my iPhone I have no problem with letting him fondle my phone.

15. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I will speak for my dad because he walked in yesterday and got one of the first ones from a new shipment.

ChrisN

16. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I walked into the Apple Store Jax Tuesday at 10:45am, asked for a 16GB white phone, 10 minutes later I'm out the door with the new phone. I say phooey on waiting in lines.

17. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Wednesday, July 16th at around 6:30pm

Walked into the Apple Store at the Christiana Mall in Delaware.

Bought the 16GB white that I wanted.

Walked out.

No lines.

And get this...apparently they have had the 3G iPhones in stock since release. Hasn't been sold out once. And in fact, the local Apple store near me in Ardmore PA had picked up a hundred or so phones from the Delaware store the day before (I spoke to the store manager at the Ardmore PA Apple Store).

By the time I got to Delaware yesterday, they had only JUST sold out of the black iPhones (both 8GB and 16GB) and still had plenty of white ones left.

Great thing is...no sales tax in Delaware! :)