Unreal Tournament OS X Port

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
InsideMacGames is reporting that Ryan Gordon is going to pickup where Glenda Adams left off with the OS X port of the original Unreal Tournament. (Not to be confused with Unreal Tournament 2003 -- which is to be shipping shortly.)

The following is quoted from an Interview (The Gamestone Mac) with Mr. Gordon:

We're going to take [Westlake's] codebase, I'm going to look at what we have for the Linux codebase that Loki did for Unreal Tournament, which has been merged into UTPG's code repository—I'm going to take that, I'm going to take what Glenda gave me, I'm going to see what's what, and I'm going to get a Mac OS X version of it done—get it done, finished, and correct.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That's the best news I've had for weeks. :) Maybe it will end up better than the original.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Is there a need for this game, now that we have a newer version? Perhaps any mods availabe, that are cool?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Veldek
Is there a need for this game, now that we have a newer version? Perhaps any mods availabe, that are cool?
Some people still like it.... it's still a very good game - even though 2003 is out.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Facing Worlds CTF.

arn

_The_Man_

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2003
Personaly I prefer the old Unreal to the new one. I'm already playing the old Unreal on OS X, so what's the point of porting it. Mine is probably some kind of mod and not a real port but hey, as long as it's working.

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Great news! Even though UT2003 (demo) is fun, I still like the original better. Maybe when the full version of UT2003 comes out it will change my mind.

First an OS X version of Myth II:Soulblighter and now an OS X version of UT....I can already hear myself saying "So much time wasted..."

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
Originally posted by Veldek
It's faster, and imo it's more fun.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
This is great news! I am a rabid fan of Jailbreak. The jailbreak guys are working on the ut2k3 Mod, but it isn't ready yet.

I personally think only the sounds needs some fixing in Glenda's version.

I wonder if we will have to buy the OS X version?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
UT for OS X badly needed!

There's a huge need for this.

First of all UT plays and acts differently from UT2ks--they aren't totally redundant. The original UT is still very popular for multiplayer.

Second, there are HUGE numbers of mods, maps, mutators, and utilities (even Mac ones) for the original UT. In that sense, it currently offers more than UT2k3.

Third and most important, most Macs out there--even those that have or will moved to OS X, CANNOT play UT2k3 very well, it at all. UT2k3 needs a newer-generation video board and a fast machine. UT, on the other hand, still looks great, but plays on "older" machines. Great for all those G4 iMacs and eMacs, PowerBook G4s, less-than-top-end towers, and even iBooks.

My eMac for instance, is pretty poor for UT2k3 Demo, but plays UT just great. (In Classic, anyway--the current OS X beta of UT starts stuttering when the combat starts.)

Thanks, Glenda and Ryan!

Also thanks to Duane Johnson for bringind Descent 3 to OS X! (Beta expected soon, apparently, see macclan.net.)

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by Stelliform
I wonder if we will have to buy the OS X version?
Like Ryan said last night during the interview, "Vote with your wallet". That said, if you dig the fact that he made the time, isn't it worth it to shove a few bucks in his pockets? Put it this way, if he puts the OSX port up on the web with a PayPal link, I'll show some love.

mangoman (a.k.a. "Muffin" in OS9's days of UT online)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by _The_Man_
Personaly I prefer the old Unreal to the new one. I'm already playing the old Unreal on OS X, so what's the point of porting it. Mine is probably some kind of mod and not a real port but hey, as long as it's working.
Would you be so kind as to enlighten us with how? I loved playing the old UT demo in OS9, then quit with my upgrade to X. So I'm too cheap to buy it, but the demo still rocked. I'd love to pick it back up again. I'd have to agree that the 9 version of UT was much quicker/more responsive than the UT2003OSX.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
If he wants money lets hope he DOESN'T just use Paypal, i don't trust it and would rather pay with another method, maybe through amazon (they already have my credit card) or through a standard VISA transaction.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by CrackedButter
If he wants money lets hope he DOESN'T just use Paypal, i don't trust it and would rather pay with another method, maybe through amazon (they already have my credit card) or through a standard VISA transaction.
Fair enough.

_The_Man_

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2003
Well to tell you the truth, I downloaded Unreal as a pirated version. It came with an OS X patch which created another .app file within the folder. It's been working fine, but with glitches when it comes to multiplayer.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Do you know what I'd like? I'd like for some one to come up with some exciting "can't live with out games" for the mac platform. Put some energy into that. Make peecee gamers wait around for the peecee port. I say don't squander any time on old ports when we have the future to look forward to. I wish I knew how to code/program. My roomate was LOL when I told him UT3 is almost out. He said something along the lines of "been there, done that" and who cares 'cause UT4 will be coming soon and it'll have vehicles. We don't even have 3 and the pc gaming community is going to be getting 4. I think the mac platform is much too powerfull to not take advantage of. I think Apple should buy nintendo.

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
apple is the nintendo counterpart of the computer world...not as many people have it, but the people that do have it know that its better than everything else

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Glad to see, mainly for the following:
Ut2k3: 30-50 FPS
UTX: 50-80 FPS
UT9: 70-110
Its no big deal for me,m but for those that have slower comps then my Dual 867, mainly a lot of the Mac LANs my friends have, UT is kinda bad, and one got 3! FPS when they tried 2k3...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Wow, a little damned late, but whatever.

BTW, if you OWN a company, Never, NEVER have a one man (in this case, lady) team porting or devolping a app.

This is the perrrffeecctt example of one person, who, well couldn't get it done.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by MrMacman
Wow, a little damned late, but whatever.

BTW, if you OWN a company, Never, NEVER have a one man (in this case, lady) team porting or devolping a app.

This is the perrrffeecctt example of one person, who, well couldn't get it done.
So, based on your logic, Ryan should stop coding both UT2K3 and the later promised finish up to UT for OSX?

:p

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Hallelujah!

A good version of UT X is one of the last pieces of the puzzle for getting me into OS X full-time.

I am no great fan of UT2K3 - it feels too much like Quake 3 to my tastes and lacks the balance and subtlety of the weapons from UT. The lightning gun is a poor replacement for the sniper rifle, and the flak cannon and rocket launcher have been totally eviscerated.

UT2K4 doesn't sound much better, honestly: vehicles? Who cares? Don't add bells and whistles until you get playability down cold, which the original UT has in spades.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Don't pick on Glenda or her former employer for making it a one-person project:... UT OS X was not an official project at all, just her own effort for love of the game. I'm glad she got the project so close to completion, and I'm glad someone is picking it up now.

BTW, I notice that map lists, bot lists, etc. all load MUCH faster in the OS X version. It's very nice that way.

As for vehicles... they can make a very different game, and thus be well worth it. Try Descent 3 if you want to see what the Z-axis adds to a first-person shooter! I might well hold off on UT2k3 and get UT2k4. By then I may have a Mac fast enough!

ohitsmatthew

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2003
so... um... are there really people who play games on macs? (fecitious)

seriously tho, why would you waste (kind of a harsh word, but whatever) your time gaming on a mac when you can build a pc for like 400-600 bucks that will allow you to not only play games at about the same frame rates (and possibly nicer image quality with anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering) if not higher, and to play games as they come out? how long will it be, if ever, till you guys get the chance to play doom 3 and halflife 2 on a mac? (granted theyll prolly run wonderfully on the new ibm chips, if apple puts a decent video card in any of their machines)... anyway if any of that made sense to anyone, ill be satisfied... because reading it back, it doesnt make sense to me.

but the point is, why arent you just playing games on a low cost gaming pc?

zigzag

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Canada
DOOM 3???

Doom 3 will be out on Mac first, as id software has stated...

Originally posted by ohitsmatthew
so... um... are there really people who play games on macs? (fecitious)

seriously tho, why would you waste (kind of a harsh word, but whatever) your time gaming on a mac when you can build a pc for like 400-600 bucks that will allow you to not only play games at about the same frame rates (and possibly nicer image quality with anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering) if not higher, and to play games as they come out? how long will it be, if ever, till you guys get the chance to play doom 3 and halflife 2 on a mac? (granted theyll prolly run wonderfully on the new ibm chips, if apple puts a decent video card in any of their machines)... anyway if any of that made sense to anyone, ill be satisfied... because reading it back, it doesnt make sense to me.

but the point is, why arent you just playing games on a low cost gaming pc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.