Unrequested Advice

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
This is just really a piece of friendly advice to those planning on transitioning to Jaguar. (everyone)

It would be very beneficial to make use of the 20MB of space and the new Backup feature/app of .Mac to prepare yourself.

I for one have backed up my Address Book, entire Mail folder, Documents, playlists, bookmarks, and app preferences. This is mainly because I plan on doing a fresh format and install, like any OS install should be done. Hopefully importing the backed up material will be relatively painless.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Speaking of fresh installs... reformatting won't be an option for me. I have like 10GB of valuable "personal" data (inside my home directory) on my drive that I will not be able to back up until I can afford an external drive. Would it be wise to delete most everything except /Users from OS 9 before installing? Or will Jaguar be smart enough to figure out what to overwrite on its own?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
there is nothing wrong with backing up. You should do it on a regular basis - which reminds me -

thanks,

D

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i find a second drive most helpful. copy all your critical data to the 2nd drive, fresh format the first, then reverse the process.