Unresponsive iPhone 4 home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolas4ever, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

So my home button worked perfectly before updating to iOS 5.Then after the update my home button is mulfunctioning.sometimes i click one time nothing happens or the multitasking bar appears or it will normally work. Actually the 1/2 of the clicks work,it's annoying. I think is a software problem because sometimes goes back to normal and all works fine. What should i do?

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I would restore and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, you may be able to get a replacement from Apple, or install Activator and replace the home button w/ a gesture.

3. Nicolas4ever, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012

Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

I will try to restore it and see what happens .i prefer clicking the button than usig a gesture though.
    And my iphone is out of warranty and i live in greece and we dont have apple stores.:/

4. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

I think i will try the restore option.Do you think i have any hope ? :(
    i heard many people after the restore that the home button works normally again

5. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

A restore definitely won't hurt anything. If you've been jailbroken and have had issues (like you described), make sure to "set up as new iPhone" when prompted during the restore process.

Good luck!

6. Nicolas4ever, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

Nicolas4ever

The iOS file is downloading now.
    I hope it fixes the problem :)
    + yes it was jailbroken with numerous of tweaks And siri installed

7. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

This is what solved it for me, though it wasn't software related and I take NO responsibility to damage to your iPhone and/or USB cable.

Put in the USB cable. Whilst holding the home button tilt the usb cable AWAY from the front (so the inside of the connect is tilted up towards the home button). DO this a little bit to see if it works, if not, try a little bit more.

Solve it for me for a few weeks, then did it a few other times and has been a few months now. (note: my USB cable now only charges, does not connect to computer).

8. Nicolas4ever, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

Nicolas4ever

i use it for 30 minutes and it works perfectly L\:eek:
    i hope it never gets back to its old working condition:|

EDIT: I restored from my back up and the problem is back..so i guess i have to restore again my device and never use my back up again.

9. ledlauzis, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

ledlauzis macrumors member

ledlauzis

Jup, I had the same problem with my iPhone 4S. There is some app or settings that blocks home button from working properly. I did clean install and then restored contacts, notes, pictures and other things but didn't touch apps and settings.

This tut helped for me: http://ubuntulife.net/iphone-home-button-not-working/

10. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

11. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

I think this was a common problem.

I had it, and a few people I know did. Apple would replace it under warranty

12. Nicolas4ever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

well mine was a software issue cause now i don't have any problem with the home button.and the warranty has expired :p

13. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

14. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Wow!!! Thank you so much for this suggestion. I have been having a lagging Home button problem for months. Your pointer seems to have fixed the problem.

15. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

This thread is turning out to be what I was thinking all along. I thought there was some type of lag to make it appear that there was something wrong with the button. When it's not responsive, I would gently press the home button again, and it would work fine. I think when the home button lags... users tend to mash the home button until it's unusable. With all the unresponsive threads in the past... I've made it habit not to mash or press my home button that often, and it's been working great since launch. I know a lot of people don't jailbreak their phones here... but multitasking by gesturing (similar to the iPad gesturing) with zephyr helps in not pressing the home button. It's much easier that the iPhone's native Activator gesture, but that is another great option on not pressing the home button that often... if you don't want to jailbreak.