Unresponsive to occasional swiping - AW4 with 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anthonyd, Oct 6, 2018.

1. anthonyd macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm into day 2 with my new Apple Watch. It's a series 4, Nike Edition with Cellular and running 5.0.1 OS.
    It replaced a Series 2, so I'm well familiar with gestures and usage.

The issue I'm having is occasionally swiping right to left (or might occur the other direct as well) becomes unresponsive. The main gestures are swapping watch faces, and clearing notifications. No matter how I swipe the UI does nothing. However if I tap the screen or press a button, swiping is responsive as expected.

Anyone else suffering from the same issue? I'll raise a support request with Apple as well

2. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Yes me to, aluminium S4, exactly that but only the swiping right to left between watch faces - all variants of the 2 infographics.

I clear it by palming over the watch and tap to turn on again.

3. richard371 macrumors 68020

This is normal. As soon as you turn the crown it deactivates the right side of the screen for about 2 seconds to avoid you touching the screen and turning the crown with the same finger at the same time. I thought it was an issue but I checked the ones in the store and they all did the same and it makes since. Try turning the crown and immediately swipe up and down the very right side of the screen. The wait a second or 2 and it’s fine. You will see what I mean.

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

5. richard371 macrumors 68020

Just don’t swipe faces from the right right after turning the crown.

6. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

Same issue, but I am not sure it’s only after using the crown, at least not purposely.

Also, when the “bug” occurs, it doesn’t start working again after two seconds, sometimes I can swipe many times without it working.

Only right to left.

7. richard371 macrumors 68020

It’s not a bug. It’s to keep the watch from getting confused if your fat fingering the crown and screen at the same time. Now that im aware of it I no longer have the issue

8. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Good catch. I think I must have been clumsy. Now that I know to look out for that I should hopefully avoid it.