Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonyd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Hi - I'm into day 2 with my new Apple Watch. It's a series 4, Nike Edition with Cellular and running 5.0.1 OS.
It replaced a Series 2, so I'm well familiar with gestures and usage.

The issue I'm having is occasionally swiping right to left (or might occur the other direct as well) becomes unresponsive. The main gestures are swapping watch faces, and clearing notifications. No matter how I swipe the UI does nothing. However if I tap the screen or press a button, swiping is responsive as expected.

Anyone else suffering from the same issue? I'll raise a support request with Apple as well

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Yes me to, aluminium S4, exactly that but only the swiping right to left between watch faces - all variants of the 2 infographics.

I clear it by palming over the watch and tap to turn on again.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
This is normal. As soon as you turn the crown it deactivates the right side of the screen for about 2 seconds to avoid you touching the screen and turning the crown with the same finger at the same time. I thought it was an issue but I checked the ones in the store and they all did the same and it makes since. Try turning the crown and immediately swipe up and down the very right side of the screen. The wait a second or 2 and it’s fine. You will see what I mean.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Same issue, but I am not sure it’s only after using the crown, at least not purposely.

Also, when the “bug” occurs, it doesn’t start working again after two seconds, sometimes I can swipe many times without it working.

Only right to left.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It’s not a bug. It’s to keep the watch from getting confused if your fat fingering the crown and screen at the same time. Now that im aware of it I no longer have the issue

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
This is normal. As soon as you turn the crown it deactivates the right side of the screen for about 2 seconds to avoid you touching the screen and turning the crown with the same finger at the same time. I thought it was an issue but I checked the ones in the store and they all did the same and it makes since. Try turning the crown and immediately swipe up and down the very right side of the screen. The wait a second or 2 and it’s fine. You will see what I mean.

Good catch. I think I must have been clumsy. Now that I know to look out for that I should hopefully avoid it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.