Unrest in Ferguson Continuing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The first one, I understand were some people who didn't want to be arrested. People who are using the guise of the peaceful protest to steal. The second, to me seems like an attack on the police. How are the police to defend themselves against this without looking like they are overreaching?

In a separate incident...

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What have these incidents got to do with anything? There was no evidence of any crime in the first case, so why was the cop giving chase? In the second, it was an off-duty cop in his private vehicle, so what bearing does this have on police reaction?

3. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wow! So you are saying the cops were wrong? The cops wouldn't have gotten shot at if they'd left them alone? If police continue to have to worry about being shot in Ferguson and the area, they are going to either wear gear to protect themselves or they will be quicker to fire.

I'm really shocked at this opinion. "why was the cop giving chase" not a thing about why were the individuals carrying weapons, why were they shooting at the police. The police were suspicious because the community center was closed. It's usually suspicious when you have someone, at night near the door of an obviously closed business.

Is it okay in your opinion for people to shoot at cops? In uniform or not?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If they weren't in uniform, they may not have been targeted as cops. And, no, it is not okay at all, in general. But one cop chasing after three guys at night for no reason other than that they ran off seems reckless in a country so gun-infested as yours.

And do we know if the cop had drawn his gun? If so, who is to say his quarry did not fear that they'd end up like Michael Brown?

5. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

In your opinion, heck your just guessing, you don't live here yet you profess something you know nothing about.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do please enlighten us with some truth.

7. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I would put 'reckless' on those that were shooting at cops.
    It was the Cops job to protect community property.
    Lot's of cops don't wear uniforms.

Now you could answer the question put to you by SD but we know that ain't gonna happen....

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I answered it in full

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

With a back ground of violence in the same town, and a growing stand your ground mentality.

I would say that incidents like this, are only going to increase.

10. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So, the officer who was shot at was reckless? What about the ones that shot at him? Is it okay to shoot at the police because it is Ferguson? What will the next officer who approaches some people at a closed business think? Will he be quicker to fire or will he decide not to bother to approach them?

The officer was doing his job. He was investigating suspicious activity. The community center is closed but there is a person or people there. That is suspicious. When he approached, he or they ran... also suspicious. Then the suspicious person opens fire and shoots the cop. At that point the police officer is justified if he kills him.

I'm really surprised, all the focus is on the behavior of the officer and not the person who shot at him.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, reckless with his own safety.
    If all he has is a suspicion, he shouldn't even be considering opening fire. For what?

12. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are right he shouldn't be considering opening fire but I'll bet his hand will rest a little closer to his holster when approaching a suspect at a closed business at night.

Of course, if this officer had just ignored the subjects and the community center had been looted and/or burned, he'd be a lazy individual who didn't do his job. We'd be talking about how the Ferguson Police doesn't care about people of the community because they let them destroy the community center.

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Given that it is the US of A I'd say "quicker to fire".

Which offcourse means that when your black and a cop comes after you shooting to kill may be your best survival stratregy :confused:

As to the cop being "reckless" .... I'd say he made an unwise move, just like that kid being shot while searching his car for his licence. Pretty much what is to be expected in a country so infested with paranoia and gun culture.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And, of course, nobody has suggested that alternative - except you.

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So far, I haven't seen a single condemnation of the person shooting at the cop. What I've seen is support for the shooter, right here in this thread. Justification for him having fired at the officer. Saying that he didn't want to end up like Michael Brown. Questions about why the cop gave chase.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

We live in a society where people are innocent until proven guilty. Damn right there should be questions asked about the actions of a person who serves the people. They work for us.

Nobody in this thread has justified anyone shooting at the officer. That's just another strawman you're trying to build.

Also, why is everyone saying "him"? Wasn't it a female cop that got shot in the arm?

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Like all the cases in Ferguson, including officer Wilson's, I prefer to suspend judgement until proper legal proceedings have concluded. That being said, it is clear that the police in Ferguson do not have the confidence and trust of the people they are meant to protect, and vice versa.

Frankly, I wonder why a police officer in this new incident challenged the two men, for it is not clear what crime the two men were suspected of. My point is that while the Ferguson police view this new incident as unconnected with the shooting of Michael Brown, it might very well be that their aggressive policing methods provide a common thread.

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

They were challenged because they were outside of a closed facility. The recreation center was closed. But let's focus on why the officer challenged them and not why they SHOT at her. Is it okay for citizens to shoot at police who challenge them? Obviously the officer was right in her assumption they were up to no good. People who aren't up to no good, don't shoot at police officers.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's a pretty low bar for suspicion.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We never saw Elmer Fudd and Barney Fife in the same place at the same time....were they the same person? :eek:

21. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You do not think it is suspicious for two men to be around a dark, closed community center, in a community that has been racked by looting and vandalism? As it turns out the officer's instincts were correct.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Amazingly stupid. Maybe this is why the cops are being shot at.

----------

1 that might depend on the color of your skin.

2. Ha, plenty of uniformed thugs are more than happy to arrest you simply for asking questions.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yup, two major testaments to the absolute failure of our modern law enforcement and criminal justice system. There are many more as well.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not sure how you reached your conclusions, but your account seems to be something like 'the two men have no other purpose to be near this building, so they were vandals and the fact they allegedly shot the police officer confirms that". If so, your making a lot of inferences without evidence. Also, you seem to ignore another possible account - as do the Ferguson police - that the local people have become so afraid and distrustful of the police that they feel the need to use guns to defend themselves (which is why many people justify the right to bear arms). Right now neither account can be rejected by evidence. Like I said, let us wait until the facts are made public.

25. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

They shot the cop! There is no excuse. I only wish her returned fire would have been more accurate.