Unruly Scalper at Suburban Square, PA

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Blorzoga, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Spent the night in line at Suburban Square. Of the approximately 100 people in line, there was only one person who was not Asian, and that was me. It was completely bizarre. Every single person I saw or heard was Asian (mostly Chinese, I think). And of course they were all buying two full priced iPhones. Apparently, one of the guys near the front of the line who had been very hotheaded all night and didn't want to listen to any of the Apple staff who were trying to control the line, decided he would try to get back in line (near the front, of course) after purchasing his two and was met with resistance from the in-charge Apple associate. The police were eventually called and the fool continued to rant at the officers and then invited them to arrest him. They took him up on his offer, but he wasn't ready to be cuffed and put up a struggle. The cops eventually got him into the cruiser where he proceeded to kick the doors from the inside. This continued for probably 20-30 minutes as several of his fellow countrymen and women tried to intervene. As a show of solidarity, one of the genius scalpers started calling for all Chinese to get out of line and refuse to buy the iPhones they had already reserved. Well, fortunately for me, EVERYONE in line was Chinese, and most of them felt it was a worthy cause and removed themselves from the line. That was my cue to jet to the front of the reservation line. It probably saved me a good 90 minutes of waiting time. It was a completely pointless protest, since the people were buying the phones to be scalped, not to be used by themselves. They quickly realized this and attempted to get back in line from the point they got out of line. The Apple staff sent them all to the back of the line.

Meanwhile, the idiot in the squad car eventually got taserd a couple times and the police arrested about three or four of his buddies who had been instructed to leave the property, but had refused.

It was a pretty sad sight. One of the guys was a fairly elderly chap. And I'm pretty sure none of them understood much of what the police were telling them.

Here's a photo of the main troublemaker.

Attached Files:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I don't have a problem either, except when they all try to converge near the front of the line, joining their friends, as the doors near opening. I appreciate the whole supply and demand issue and capitalism, but it is really unfortunate for people who just want to buy one for themselves. I was successful in getting what I wanted. Had that been a 6 plus, I would have out of luck. In addition the delay in release in China has really created a windfall for the scalpers. This will be a repeated situation over the next several weeks, as the scalpers procure all the 6 pluses they can get their hands on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.