Unsuccessful Pre-order and now second thoughts, any one in a similar boat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Picapau21, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

So I woke up early to get my pre-order in. Wanted to get an AUP 7+ 128 Jet Black.

Got into the app the second it opened and then was unable to get to the reserve page for AUP orders as it just wouldn't load! When it did eventually load there were no phones left to pre-order

To get over my disappointment of not managing to order a shiny new gadget I installed the beta versions of OS Sierra, iOS 10 and Watch OS 3.

Suddenly my craving for something new was gone and with slightly more rational thought I realised that I didn't actually need the new iPhone, especially not for £819!

I was truly excited to get my now 2 year old iPhone 6+. It had a larger screen, bigger battery and a new design which meant I no longer needed to travel with my iPad.

But with the 7+ I wasn't really that excited and apart from a fancy new camera there aren't really any changes that i would likely notice. I use my phone mainly for email, browsing, messaging and a few simple apps such as banking etc. I don't take many pictures, I don't watch videos and I don't play games.

I now think I might be able to get another year or two out of the same phone. The AUP site not loading may have just saved me a lot of cash!

But....7 days between now and launch is a long time and I may end up being first in the queue on the 17th when reservations open again. Ahhhh....love of all things shiny is a dangerous addiction!

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I understand that feeling, I think we all have it at some point. Nobody here really needs a new phone each year, it's just nice to enjoy it if you're able to. :)

The BIGGEST draw for me is the waterproofing. I'm such a fan of that specifically. Also, being a techy I like to have new devices. With the deletion of the 3.5mm audio port, I'm now afforded the opportunity to dive into the wireless headphone market and satisfy my longtime desire to get rid of headphone wires.

3. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the water proofing is a big draw and I don't want to tempt fate but I have never dropped my phone into water. Would be nice though to take it to the beach etc on holiday and not have to worry about it getting wet.

I'm with you about the 3.5mm audio port...Not really a big issue. I have almost exclusively moved over to bluetooth headphones for the gym and for home. Just so much more convenient. The new W1 chip is interesting but with a collection of bluetooth headphones already including a very high end pair I don't think I'll be buying any new headphones anytime soon.

In your case its probably best to wait a short while to see which other companies apart from Beats utilise the new chip. The biggest issue with current bluetooth headphones is sometimes difficult connection and sound dropping. Hopefully this will be resolved.

4. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Honestly, I still think that for me it makes no sense at all to ditch my iPhone 6 and buy a 7, even though the water resistance is simply awesome. I'm happy with my current phone, it works perfectly and does everything I want it to do.

... that being said, I wonder when my parcel will arrive next Friday. Damn, I just love getting new gadgets. :D:p

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My pre order with T Mobile is in complete Limbo as I have no idea of my status.. but if for some reason it got cancelled or whatever I wouldn't be super bummed.. it's whatever

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Gives you more time to test it at a store and see how you feel .

7. sophie_ macrumors newbie

sophie_

Feel the same way. Wasn't going to go for the 7, mostly because of the lack of headphone jack and wanting next years phone. But Verizon had a good deal (only going to be paying $4 a mo. for the device) so I pre-ordered. Even during my call to the Verizon rep. I was changing my mind, they offered to wave the upgrade fee if I did it now though so I went ahead. I'm pretty indecisive in general though. Doesn't deliver until late Oct. so I have time to change my mind. :p
    I'm going to go check them out next week!

8. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any idea when the stores will have demo models to play with?

9. Mildredop macrumors 68020

You could have done that with the iPhone 6s, too.

And iPhone 6.

And iPhone 5s.

And... you see where I'm going here.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Proooooobably the 16th if you can get into an Apple Store that day. Here in Aventura, FL it is a mob scene on launch day and they rope off the whole front entrance(In the Aventura Mall) and only allow X number of general shoppers in the store at any one time.

Maybe try a Best Buy or something?

11. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the UK and its likely going to be carnage at all the central London stores as well.

12. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I was going to buy it IUP, delivery Nov, but then I saw how the IUP customers were treated this year. I don't want to have problems next year. And Apple is buying back the 6 Plus at $250 now, but will they in Nov?

13. Picapau21 thread starter macrumors 6502

The whole AUP process was a but shambolic this year for both new and old customers.

Someone on a different thread did a calculation that if you upgrade every year, buying the phone outright and then trading it in for a new one costs the same as the AUP. You obviously can't make monthly payments though if you go the buying outright route.

14. randystand macrumors 6502

Same with me to be honest. However it probably did good for me, I shouldn't have been spending £819 on another new phone when I've got a perfectly good 6s and 12 months left on a contract. Will buy a new one next year and go sim only.

15. jlczl macrumors regular

I think for a lot of people the excitement of getting the order in and being the first to receive it and then being the first walking around with a brand new iPhone, especially with this year that it's black, is part of the draw to ordering it early. Having something everybody knows about but nobody else has. If you don't get in on that then the likelihood of you feeling the need to upgrade isn't as great. Especially if you already have a great device like the 6s.