Unsure about 13" Pro because of glossy screen and no air card.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grazziano, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Grazziano macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 13" Macbook pro from best buy and I am unsure if I should keep it or take it back. The glossy screen has me concerned. I have used and air since about when they came out and I really prefer the matte screen.

My second concern is I am tired of having to use a USB air car for my verizon wireless service and would prefer it to be built in like many of the pc laptops have.

1. What are your thoughts from those of you who have used the glossy screen for a bit? Is it worth waiting for Apple to provide a matte option.

2. What are your thoughts on how soon internal air cards would be included and would Apple only support AT&T anyway or would they allow use by any service like most PC's do?

I really love the no pro but those two things are big draw backs for me.

Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Air card as in internet anywhere? None of Apple's notebooks have this. If you want one then get one from AT&T.

Now I want to add a 13" MBP to my collection but I am secretly hanging out waiting to see if they silently add a matte option. I really want that. The glassy gloss takes some getting used to, there's no doubt. My MB Air has glossy but no glass element in front making it nothing more than a problem. You can use it though, it is a brilliant screen. I just would love a matte option. In due time you will have to decide is glassy gloss is a deal breaker for you. For me, since I have a 10 month old MB Air it is not a deal breaker, just not a "I need today" situation.

3. Grazziano thread starter macrumors newbie

Jessica:

Thanks, yes I mean Internet anyway. I currently have a USB card from Verizon that I use on my Mac Air but I am tired of dragging it around. Most PC's now offer and internal card that you can activate with either verizon, Sprint, AT&T. To my knowledge Apple does not offer an internal card for even AT&T at the current moment. but wondering if that is a "soon to be addition."

I am in a "I need" position but I could probably wait a few months if I knew there was a good chance the matte finish was coming. Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the glossy vs. matte? I know Apple seems to swear that glossy is better.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The 13" MBP seems to tote the moniker of "pro" but is seriously being treated like the redheaded step child (with no disrespect to the redheads out there).

It is my opinion that in order to really show consumers that they're serious (Apple), they best treat the 13" as they're treating the 15" and 17". Obviously like the old 12" PowerBooks you can and will have lower specs than that of the 15" and 17", but as far as screens go, it should be an option to go matte or glossy. Remember, it's my opinion and I'm not getting into this "the 13" isn't a real pro machine anyway" schoolyard argument.

I think that a matte option may come but when, I don't know. If it does come it will be in the next few months. By then I'll pretty much admit defeat and say it's never coming.

Glossy is better if you like real bright saturated screens. It's a very pretty screen, my friend has one and it is great. However, the glass on the front makes life difficult and makes little sense for it to be there. My MB Air is glossy, as I said, so I know a 13" can function fine without glass. It's like framing a glossy print. You need something that is anti-glare to be able to appreciate the photo.

Aircards are a very long way off. I use mainly macs so I was unaware that aircards were in most every PC. I thought that was a netbook thing.

Personally, I think matte is better because while colors and brightness may be slightly "muted", you can work even if light hits your screen.

My compromise would be the MB Air screen on the 13" MBP.

5. Grazziano thread starter macrumors newbie

Jessica:

You are confirming what I am worried about. I go everywhere with my air but it is so beat up I have to switch to something else soon. I actually wanted a 13" Pro when I got my air and knew it was coming but got tired of waiting. If I had to choose the glossy screen is much more an issue than the air car. I airplanes, airports and just moving around obviously light can be an issue I just don't know how much unless I used it.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's a gross misstatement. "Most" PC notebooks do not have the anywhere aircards. Firstly, that feature tends to come on more expensive PC notebooks and only very few. I've seen them on select Sony Vaios and one or two other PC notebooks and generally only on the very small screened notebooks.