• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Dylan31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
United Kingdom
Is the MacBook Air quad core i5 8gb ram 256gb ssd good enough for a computer science student like myself?

I use a MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2015 dual core i5 8gb ram 128gb ssd and I really want to upgrade to a new one.

I use my Mac for streaming, web browsing, creating documents and mostly moderate front end coding on atom. I also use bootcamp which i run from an external ssd. This is mainly to use visual studio on windows for c# projects as I use visual studio on windows in my university classes.

Is the new MacBook sufficient for my needs or is the MacBook Pro 13 inch 2019 a better option?

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Is the MacBook Air quad core i5 8gb ram 256gb ssd good enough for a computer science student like myself?

I use a MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2015 dual core i5 8gb ram 128gb ssd and I really want to upgrade to a new one.

I use my Mac for streaming, web browsing, creating documents and mostly moderate front end coding on atom. I also use bootcamp which i run from an external ssd. This is mainly to use visual studio on windows for c# projects as I use visual studio on windows in my university classes.

Is the new MacBook sufficient for my needs or is the MacBook Pro 13 inch 2019 a better option?

I do not own one but based on your needs, I would say it is more then enough.

Reactions: Dylan31
Comment

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York

I also do not own one (hopefully soon) but I would say in that configuration it is fine, but you should bump that RAM up to 16GB for $180 for even better performance (you are a student, so with student pricing the upgrade is $180 not the normal $200) and then I would say it is more than enough...also it will future proof your machine longer.

:apple:

Comment

Isamilis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012

I am looking for mba 2020as well, upgrade from 2014 13” rMBP. The new keyboard and good price made me want to buy now.
For your usage, I believe the new MBA should be more than enough.

Comment

Dylan31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
United Kingdom
I also do not own one (hopefully soon) but I would say in that configuration it is fine, but you should bump that RAM up to 16GB for $180 for even better performance (you are a student, so with student pricing the upgrade is $180 not the normal $200) and then I would say it is more than enough...also it will future proof your machine longer.

Thanks.
I was looking at the 16gb ram upgrade as well but I have budget of about $1000. When I saw that the quad core i5 upgrade was only $90 extra from the base model I decided I would just upgrade that. So I am unsure to get that configured MacBook Air or just wait a little longer and save up the $180 for the ram.

Comment

filteq

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
If you can wait a bit there will be some nice discounted refurb MacBook Air models coming onto Apple's Refurbished site in the coming weeks. It's a great way to save some cash with no downside because they are discounted, have a full warranty and are AppleCare eligible. I've always been able to get my exact BTO optioned machines with a nice discount by being a little patient.

Comment

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
If you can wait a bit there will be some nice discounted refurb MacBook Air models coming onto Apple's Refurbished site in the coming weeks. It's a great way to save some cash with no downside because they are discounted, have a full warranty and are AppleCare eligible. I've always been able to get my exact BTO optioned machines with a nice discount by being a little patient.

Do you mean 2020 model? I guess it will take at least another 6 more months for them to be available?

Comment

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Thanks.
I was looking at the 16gb ram upgrade as well but I have budget of about $1000. When I saw that the quad core i5 upgrade was only $90 extra from the base model I decided I would just upgrade that. So I am unsure to get that configured MacBook Air or just wait a little longer and save up the $180 for the ram.

Well under education pricing, the 2020 MacBook Air starts at $899, so do the $100 i5 upgrade, and then the $180 16GB RAM upgrade and you are at $1,180 and then add in tax.

If you need to save up, I get it...but that student pricing does help you a little bit, saves you $120 on that 16GB RAM configuration.

Comment

filteq

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Do you mean 2020 model? I guess it will take at least another 6 more months for them to be available?

Yes the 2020 model. It shouldn't take 6 months. The 16" MBP models started to show up on the Refurb site in mid-February.

Comment

Howard2k

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2016
I have the same MBPro. I think it depends why you’re upgrading. I would expect the new MBA to be swifter for short bursts, but slower for longer workloads. It also has slower wifi I imagine.

For casual use I think bursts is better, so it would be a nice upgrade, but if you find yourself wanting to upgrade because that Logic Pro export takes 9 minutes, then the Air might not be such an upgrade. I say ’might’ because I haven’t seen enough info either way. I’m speculating.

if you run Activity Monitor and find that you’re hammering the CPU on your current system, then I would wait for more benchmarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylan31 and SRLMJ23
Comment

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
hmmm, i have 15 2013 (2.0/8/256) mbp and also have 13 2015 mpb (2.9/8/512).
for developer machine, i will go with 15 2013, i like i7 for processing apps simulator, very smooth, not like 13 2015 :p
this is just idea, I believe quad core is better than dual core even the processor speed is lower.

Comment

Dylan31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
United Kingdom
Thanks. Considering the recent rumours of the 13 inch MacBook Pro refresh coming next month I might see what specs it has and might just go with that new pro instead

Comment

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks. Considering the recent rumours of the 13 inch MacBook Pro refresh coming next month I might see what specs it has and might just go with that new pro instead
That sounds like a great plan.
I had an early 2015 retina MBP, the last MBP with both a scissor keyboard and physical Fn keys. It was a great machine.

Comment

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
More importantly would be the magic keyboard. I would not buy any laptop w/ a butterfly, as it is not a question of if, but when it will fail. If you don't need anything urgently, it makes sense to wait.

Comment

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Dylan, it is best to get the absolute best MacBook Air you can get if you go this route. The newer ones won't allow you to upgrade the storage drive since they are now soldered on just like CPU and RAM. If I were to buy a new MacBook Air I would upgrade the CPU, RAM and storage drive to their max available and call it a day.

I suspect the 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz will be faster (although I don't know by how much) than the older gen 2.2GHz i7 dual core processor that is in my 2015 Air. Luckily my current Air still does everything I need a laptop to do and I can easily upgrade the storage drive from a 512GB NVMe (current) to as much as 2TB NVMe if I want.

Comment

Dylan31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
United Kingdom
Dylan, it is best to get the absolute best MacBook Air you can get if you go this route. The newer ones won't allow you to upgrade the storage drive since they are now soldered on just like CPU and RAM. If I were to buy a new MacBook Air I would upgrade the CPU, RAM and storage drive to their max available and call it a day.

I suspect the 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz will be faster (although I don't know by how much) than the older gen 2.2GHz i7 dual core processor that is in my 2015 Air. Luckily my current Air still does everything I need a laptop to do and I can easily upgrade the storage drive from a 512GB NVMe (current) to as much as 2TB NVMe if I want.
At around this price I would probably go with the new rumoured MacBook Pro coming next month. But I will still consider these specs and compare it to the new MacBook Pro when it does eventually come out

Reactions: Macdctr
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.