Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panopticon76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Hi All,

Trying to solve a mystifying problem here:

I'm helping a friend connect her white Macbook (1,1 w/ Intel 2 Ghz processor and Intel GMA 950 graphics card)(Macbook is circa 2006-7 I believe) to her 32" CRT TV using the "Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter" and an S-Video cable. So far all she sees on the TV is "unusable signal" when scanning through the available video-ins on the TV.

She IS able to see a new monitor appear in Display Properties (listed as NTSC-PAL) when the "dongle" is plugged in, and the Display Properties "Arrangement" section changes to reflect the presence of an additional monitor. Once you remove the dongle, these options go away.

I'm stumped. As far as I knew, there's no reason she should not be able to get a signal to this TV using this product with this laptop.

Any experience with this issue?

Many thanks for any advice. This is bugging me as it was my suggestion that she buy all this stuff, and it would be "easy" to hook up. Ha.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Maybe the output on the MacBook needs switching from NTSC to PAL or vice versa.

I've got this working with my MacBook's (both 2006 and 2008).

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You'll need to make sure the computer is set to extended desktop mode (instead of mirroring) because most likely the internal 1280x800 is too high a resolution to send over S-video for the TV.

Once in extended desktop mode, try changing the output resolution to the TV to 640x480 or 800x600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.