'Unwelcoming' US sees sharp fall in visitors since 9/11

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

There's more other stories in the past about the fall in visitors, but here's an update...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071101203321.9b0hpiha&show_article=1

"Since September 11, 2001, the United States has experienced a 17 percent decline in overseas travel, costing America 94 billion dollars in lost visitor spending, nearly 200,000 jobs and 16 billion dollars in lost tax revenue," the Discover America advocacy campaign said in a statement.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I had not heard this before, but it does not surprise me. However, I would also expect the cost of travel to be a significant contributor to a decline in tourism.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The plummeting dollar has made the US a bargain destination.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the Soviet style of US immigration officials. Even as a US citizen it is extremely unpleasant.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yup, it's like you're being checked into prison. The most uncomfortable I've ever felt in an immigration environment (passport control) is most definitely the US. It's an atomosphere of tension and paranoia that hits you as soon as you get off the plane (and I've only done it once).

Having said that, Heathrow these days is an absolute hell hole - going out or coming in - and the immigration officials there and at London Gatwick have given various close friends from visiting countries a really hard time for no reason. I think immigration officials are up there with traffic wardens as the world's biggest a/holes.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly surprising.. what's even more interesting is that according to some articles it's worse when you are a journalist

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And god help you if you "step over the line" or stand in the "wrong" spot… then you get the loud "Voice of Authority" telling you off…

Never had any major issues, but still not a "warm" welcome. On a par with Taiwanese immigration officials…

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Try flying in or out of Riyadh some time. It will make going through a US airport seem like waiting in line for the Leno show.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've never had a problem entering the US although having to be photographed and fingerprinted isn't the most pleasant experience.

The US security requirements cause more problems at the check-in phase when they need to know your first night's accommodation etc which can be tricky if it's a last minute trip or a flydrive.

I've always found the immigration officials themselves pretty friendly. I smile at them and say hello and they tend to do likewise. Answer their questions in a relaxed manner and there's no issue - I've ended up having a bit of a banter with several of them and been 'proposed' to three times ;)

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ah, the classic swarmy response. "If you think it's bad here......"

That's not the point really, the point is that the US is losing billions of dollars in tourist dollars and desperately needed foreign currency by imposing draconian and paranoid measures.

Fortress America anyone?

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If only that were true. Perhaps Mexico has just discovered a new source of revenue. They can charge international tourists for information on how easy it is to get into America without having their documentation or identity checked.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's not easy to come up through Mexico. The smart tourist would go through Canada.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You would really enjoy living in a police state? "Fortress America" would bring complete security from everyone but our own government. Abosolute power, and all.

13. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

1984 type scenario.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How low do you want to drop the bar? I'm sure it's much more unpleasant flying into Pyongyang, too.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

A police state? Unless you are recklessly speeding, I dare you to find a place you'd be stopped for anything traveling from one end of this country to the other. Oh, maybe that stop for produce when entering California from Arizona. Regular Brownshirts, those guys. :rolleyes:

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There are Border Patrol stops along many of the southwestern US, where you will be stopped and quickly questioned. And, there's also the road-blocks for DUI checks and DEA stops as well. Try driving along I-40 out of Flagstaff and you'll be amazed at how many various authorities you'll encounter.

Not exactly "your paper's please" of the old Eastern Bloc, but the clear open road sans some kind of over-watching authority is a dying element of America.

For instance, from the Wired story on the Cannonball Run guys:
    That's a lot of cops!

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In Ohio, particularly Toledo, they routinely have checkpoints set up. Everyone is stopped and checked for DUI- everyone. I'm sure there's more than that across the country. Hey- you dared.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Still doesn't compare to a police state. When they require passports to travel between states, then I'll start to worry.

It's too bad they have to check for DUI and things like that, but our paper is filled daily with people flipping their trucks or crashing into power poles and not wearing their seatbelts. I swear they need to make wearing seatbelts illegal so more people would wear them. :)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Read hulugu's post. It's getting close. Either way, you were wrong- again. ;) You guys have such a hard time admitting it.

20. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have not driven through the area for many years, but outside Oceanside they used to have a checkpoint right on I-5. All vehicles were stopped and checked for illegal aliens. The DEA used to set-up 'focus checkpoints' looking for marijuana. The CA and WA State Patrols set-up 'focus checkpoints' for DUIs. I do not know what happens in other parts of the Country, but it must happen there as well.

21. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

This has to be the ironic sentence of the century. :eek:

It's like saying: "I never had a problem with Gulag 13 but the rats tail soup took a bit of getting used to." :p

Amazing what people will put up with in the so-called "Land of the Free."

22. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

You can also pretty much land a small boat anywhere along the NorthWest coast full to the brim with guns and explosives and go undetected. All the coast guard forces and resources are deployed along the East, Southwest and Southern Coasts. There are also long, long stretches of the Alaskan coast with no radar, no patrol boats or subs, and no inhabitants to see you land.

The baggage checks are to check for bombs of course, but the checking of people at the airports is actually part of the (domestic) surveillance program. It's not intended so much to deny entry to terrorists, as it is to monitor who's coming and going.

23. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Why do you think Fortress America would only apply at the borders? It's the *mindset* that the authorities are hoping for, not the actual Great Wall of Texas.

Take a look at what's been done already. Paranoid and dubiously useful "security" at airports, where several people have died just for acting funny. An exercise of overwhelming force and threats to *any* provocation. Restrictions on travel based on t-shirt slogans, skin color and language - not all at once, mind you, but in seperate incidents.

That's not to mention warrantless wiretapping, suspension of habeus corpus, and the "unitary executive" theory - where you can be disappeared based on the president's say-so - despite any law congress decides to pass against this.

The Fortress America mentality gives unlimited and unquestioned authority to a small group of unassailable elites. I do not wish this to happen in *any* form, even if that means a one in one hundred million chance of dying in an airplane, or having to speak slowly to the guy behind the counter whose English is only passable.

The point is, if we let the powers that be institute certain policies in spite of their tortured logic and sometimes blatant illegality there's nothing to keep them from instituting new policies under the same banner that aren't so easy to ignore.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's a bit of a pointless deflection. I mean, traffic in Indianapolis is better than it is in Los Angeles but that doesn't mean there is room for improvement in Indianapolis.

Since 9/11 I've driven between Indiana and LA twice, and made a number of trips from LA to different parts of AZ and haven't seen anything except weigh stations and produce border stops.

Considering the size of the US that really doesn't seem like it to me.

Lethal

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh, it's entirely possible to travel the entire country without seeing a single cop. It's also possible to run into one every county, it depends on where and when you travel.

The I-40 stops outside of Flagstaff are for drug-interdiction, but are also infrequent enough that you could travel through Flag' several times without being stopped.

Of course, the last time I was through there I was driving this:

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      106 KB
      Views: