up grading the hard drive in my 15 early 2013 mpr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atlantamac, Apr 30, 2015.

1. atlantamac macrumors newbie

Thinking of getting the 480 gig ssd from owc for my macbook pro 15 early 2013.
    I was stupid and only got 8 gig of ram. Will the extra hard drive space take up some of the slack?

Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, an SSD is not a substitute for RAM. How do you even know that lack of RAM is a problem?

3. atlantamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive had the system crash a few times for lack of ram(8 gig) I got memory clean and that has helped.
    I didnt think it would be a substitute but I cant upgrade the ram so I figured bigger hd for more virtual ram. I could be figuring wrong lol

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

A system crash due to RAM doesn't sound right. Slower performance yes, system crash? No.

What are you doing when this happens?

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How do you know that lack of RAM caused the crash? Did you the check the graph under "Memory Pressure" in Activity Monitor to see if it was red?

Also, I can't imagine virtual memory (if it was actually needed) taking up very much space on your SSD. Only if you're running very low on available space would it become an issue.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, no it won't. That's not how RAM management works. Kind of like saying "will having a bigger backyard make my car run better". Those two things are completely unrelated. Unless your SSD is filled to the brim, it has no impact.

7. atlantamac thread starter macrumors newbie

the program is url extractor 4. I will run again tonight and get the exact message. Im pretty sure it said it was out of ram, pick a program to close.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Something is wrong with that program. Sorry, but there is NO WAY a URL extractor program is using 8GB of RAM. Something else in the background must be cause it lose RAM. Post a pic of your Activity monitor.