Up To 38,000 Other Planets In Our Galaxy With Intelligent Life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Feb 4, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7870562.stm
    And funnily enough they are all convinced that the god of the terrestrial Jews created the universe especially for them. Boy are they in for a surprise!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Can you please point me to one so I can leave this one ? :p

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Head towards Pluto, turn left, then next right, carry on straight ahead for 3 light-years and ask the first policeman you find. You can't miss it.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

Is "civilizations" spelled differently in the UK?

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It is spelled with an "s" in all civilised countries.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

^^^ beaten and by a vastly better quip.

No. Only in the US.

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Perfect. :p

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

Brilliant.

I hope you're not implying what I think you're implying? That this planet has intelligent life.

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks!

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Just the opposite ;)

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't really see how anyone can make wild estimates like this about other worlds when we know so little about the development of our own. To assume Earth is an average case makes no sense as it is the only case we know. We have no idea where we sit on the bell curve, and to assume any location upon it makes no sense.

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Equally, to assume there is no bell curve makes no sense, and the existence of even one other civilisation in the universe, let alone 38,000 in our galaxy, makes the entire anthropocentric premise of monotheism of any flavour entirely invalid .

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Show me the other "people" on the other planets and I'll believe it. Until then it's pure hypothesis.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This reminds me of the The Drake Equation.

I wonder what qualifies as an intelligent civilization? Between 321 and 38000 is quite a large range. You can bet if there is any intelligent life out there they probably believe their gods are just as real.

15. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

That's funny: that's probably exactly what they are saying, too.

The bar is evidently set quite low if we qualify.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Perhaps but that too is hypothesis.;)

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Between 361 and 38 000 is a pretty big margin for error :D!

And my goodness the journal publishes some awesome papers. Haven't found this one yet but some of the other articles in fascinating. I should be doing some work but I've found a way to fritter away the afternoon :)!

check out these article titles;

Survival of seeds in hypervelocity impacts

Amino acid synthesis in Europa's subsurface environment

Bloody rain again! Red rain and meteors in history and myth

The galactic cycle of extinction

Use of non-thermal atmospheric plasmas to reduce the viability of Bacillus subtilis on spacecraft surfaces

That's some cool stuff :cool:! And my library has a subscription :D!

18. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

There is no reason to doubt the existence of other civilisations except that it would upset our own presumptuous arrogation of uniqueness.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

As long as they have good beer,coffee and pot I'm ok with it.

Apple better start boosting the range of the AEBS too!!

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I feel I have reason to doubt any publication that is spouting apparently random numbers for how much intelligent life fills our galaxy/universe. Especially considering how very little we know about planets outside of our solar system.

As far as I am aware we have never found a planet by any means that would likely support any sort of life as we know it (nasa is deploying a huge satalite in a few months to look planets just like these.

Considering our limited knowledge anyone claiming they know aproximately how many intelligent species exist on other planets is about as arrogant as claiming to know the one true god.

Congratulations organized religions of any kind do not make any logical or eve illogical sense. They have and will continue to ignore this fact no matter what happens so we can all probably stop trying to nail them with reason and go on with our lives.

Edit: To be fair the article does point out that its really just one big guess, but you don't mention that in your thread title.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let me guess our public education system ranks us in the bottom 50 planets for intelligence.

Either that or the brain gelling TV networks.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

We cant we wont be able to in your life time we might never be able to. The sad fact is everything else out there is very very far away and unless we discover some way of traveling outside of physics as we know it today we wont be visiting any of the planets we discover anymore.

That doesn't mean that some of them don't have life we just cant get to them/see them very well. Statistically speaking someone else is out there right now thinking roughly the same thoughts as you...but we'll never meet them.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What in the article methodology leads you to the conclusion that it's nothing more than "spouting random numbers"?

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Its in the article.
    Its also common sense considering we know practically nothing about the universe. Or even a lot/most of the process as to how life develops how fragile it is what other forms it can take what other environments it can survive in.

As I said we've never found another planet like ours (admittedly we don't know about many which is part of my point) We don't know if a planet needs to be like ours to support life we just do not know A LOT.

So any precise estimations like this one (and yes I count 1 to 30,000 percise considering the size of our universe) to be statistically insignificant drivel aka. "spouting random numbers".

Edit: For what its worth I get the impression that the researcher is perfectly aware of how statistically insignificant his data is. To me it seems more like a project in universal modeling and prediction tools considering some new scientific data.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's not the peer-reviewed scientific article. That's a newspaper quote from a journalist.

Common sense counts for nothing when it comes to science. Impartial and verified experimentation, observation, and logical conclusions is what counts. Taking things as common sense oft leads one to make incorrect assumptions.

I suggests you read the actual article in question and direct your critique towards it's methodology. At the moment your argument of it being drivel is just that. Drivel.

You might be absolutely right in your conclusions but your reasoning thus far doesn't pass muster.