Up-to-date Snow Leopard browser

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bunnspecial, Oct 1, 2016.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

With Firefox now having dropped support for everything pre-Mavericks, are there any current browsers that maintain SL compatibility?

Granted I know Firefox isn't terribly out of date-I think 48 still works(at least I was able to download and use it 2-3 weeks ago) but I figure for the computers where I'm running SL-ML I maybe should look for a browser solution.

2. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

As a stop-gap measure, you can use Fx 45 Extended Support Release (ESR) at least until mid-2017 (it's not just for organizations). It'll be updated with :

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Compatibility list -- https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/45.0/system-requirements/

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks

I think TenFourFox(for PPC Macs) is running on 45esr for the time being also.

If nothing else, I'm on 48.2 now, but I'll continue the ESR version for a least a little longer.

My SL computers are not "mission critical" although the first generation Air I'm using now is a lot of fun(and Lion/Mountain Lion) and I can see myself traveling with it. I also have a Blackbook running SL(along with another running ML).

Fortunately, at least for my PPC systems that I still depend on, I do have TenFourFox which likely isn't going away any time soon(although it's going to lose source parity after 45). TFF is also an option in Snow Leopard at least also.

4. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

You're welcome. If it comes to it, using a non-updated browser isn't the end of the world. Vigilantly practicing safe hex combined with a script blocker would be comfortable for me.