Upcoming Apple Events / Product Cycles

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Seybold 2002 - Sept 9-12, 2002. Phil Schiller will be giving a keynote on Sept 10, 2002 <br
Apple Expo - Paris - Sept 10-14, 2002.
IBC 2002 - Sept 13-17. International Broadcasting Convention
MacWorld SF 2003 - Jan 7- 10, 2003.

Most recent product line updates:

PowerMac G4 - Aug 2002
PowerBook G4 - Apr 2002
iBook - May 2002
iMac 17" - Jul 2002
iMac 15" - Jan 2002

asparagui

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
los angeles (usc)
For $400, I'll take...

E) none of the above.

After Stevie got booed off the stage, Apple's been deliberately skipping bringing stuff out at events.

Take the old date, add your favorite number (between 7 and 10) of months, and guess away!

-asparagui

Who

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
My source says that Apple uses their Paris expo to just showcase their new PowerMac lines and Jaguar. My source also states that chances are not good of them unveilling anything new.

My source is a magic 8-ball, but its answers seem logical (to me, anyway). Wouldn't releasing anything new take the limelight away from the PM and Jag?

Just my $.02, plus I wanted to be the first to post. Well, among the first, anyway.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
hey guys wouldn't it make sense the apple releases a new line of LCDs to go along with their new PowerMacs. Seems logical to me, and maybe not make them availible until the begining of october.

just my 2 cents

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
If the G5 is likely going to come in January.........and don't laugh at me.....but what are the chances that they'll unveil a G5 PowerBook at that time, as well?

After all.....they've had long enough to work on the processor......they've had more than enough time to work on a laptop design as well.......why not release both G5 desktop and laptop at the same time?

Didn't they do that with the first G3 announcement? Or am I totally off my rocker here.........

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
HasanDaddy:

If the "G5" is the IBM Power4-derivative, your chances of a G5 laptop are zero. As in it will not happen until they get much better fab technology. Why? Think for a minute about the amount of heat generated by a chip like the Power4. More than a P4, I understand, although perhaps they could make it P4-like. But how many 5-pound, 1" thick, full-feature P4 laptops do you know of? I know of zero.

" After all.....they've had long enough to work on the processor......they've had more than enough time to work on a laptop design as well.......why not release both G5 desktop and laptop at the same time?"

Why not? Cause they cannot defy reality in order to meet the expectations of their users. If the G5 is a cut-down Power4, the days of low-power high-end Macs will be essentially over. The PowerBook will remain G4-powered for a long time, mark my words.

Well, unless the next PowerBook is an 8 pound, 1.7" thick, lap-toasting, 2.5 hour battery, ugly-as-heck monster like P4-powered PC latops tend to be.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I have noticed one thing about apple's product releases; never get a mac when it first comes out, they are also updated within a few weeks. I can think of at least three examples of this: the original iMac's graphics being upgraded, the first PB G3 series having better screens, graphics and cpu's, and finally the new iMac getting a bigger screen and faster graphics card.

I am not saying not get new Macs, just wait until the rev B comes out. These rev B Macs seem to be more refined with all the bad bits taken out (like changing the screen on the PB G3 from DSTN to TFT.)

Also I think the future of Powerbooks is water cooling and fast (but low clock speeds) G4 chips, or very high clocked G3 chips. IBM has the G3 chip going at well over 1GHz, without producing much heat. Apple don't use then in the iBook because they could be faster than the PB G4 and cheaper too. This would mess up their product lines.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by hvfsl
I have noticed one thing about apple's product releases; never get a mac when it first comes out, they are also updated within a few weeks. I can think of at least three examples of this: the original iMac's graphics being upgraded, the first PB G3 series having better screens, graphics and cpu's, and finally the new iMac getting a bigger screen and faster graphics card.
You are mistaken about it being a few weeks. It's more on the order months and you may be closer to correct...

arn

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
If the G5 is likely going to come in January.........and don't laugh at me.....but what are the chances that they'll unveil a G5 PowerBook at that time, as well?

After all.....they've had long enough to work on the processor......they've had more than enough time to work on a laptop design as well.......why not release both G5 desktop and laptop at the same time?

Didn't they do that with the first G3 announcement? Or am I totally off my rocker here.........
Ya they did do the G3s at the same time.

eddively

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2002
Eagan , MN
I have no sources...but I got experience..YAY!. If you expect new powermacs @ MWSF..it will probably be @ AEParis. A simple rule of thumb is o postpone all your guessing and desires to a later time. Atleast that way you can't be dissapointed.

Although I wouldn't mind a new "G5" mac. I know i'd buy one.

mattvd

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by ddtlm
HasanDaddy:

If the "G5" is the IBM Power4-derivative, your chances of a G5 laptop are zero. As in it will not happen until they get much better fab technology. Why? Think for a minute about the amount of heat generated by a chip like the Power4. More than a P4, I understand, although perhaps they could make it P4-like. But how many 5-pound, 1" thick, full-feature P4 laptops do you know of? I know of zero.

IBM's $2.5B fab turns Hudson into silicon valley

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
The only hardware I see getting updated in the next 6 months are iBooks (but not to G4 until the Powerbook reaches 1GHz), the Xserve (goes to 1.2GHz) and the iPod (God only knows what will happen).

The G4 Tower has completed it's life cycle, don't expect anything new until the next generation chip, be it from Motorola or IBM, comes out. But that will not happen until the Xserve get's the new chip in May.

Don't expect any changes in either monitors or iMacs, except small configuration changes.

That what those damm voices in my head are telling me to type. So it must be true.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
January I would expect speed bumps to the powerbook and/or the ibook.
To go along with the powermacs a new 19" or updated 22" cinema display.
The prices need to go down on these.

I wouldn't wait on a G5 until next NY macworld

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
From what I've gathered, Apple seems to be shifting away from introducing new macs at tradeshows. This gives apple a more steady revenue stream since everybody won't be waiting until after a tradeshow to buy. I would expect an update either before christmas or in feburary.

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
I bet nothing gets updated

I predict nothing at any of these shows. The powerbooks are certainly due, but with the current promotion until 9-25, that's unlikely until then. The iMac is way overdue. What other computer goes 9 months with no updates and still sells at the same price? The average PC has gained 3-500 Mhz in that time and likely a price drop. No wonder sales are terrible. They had the chance to up the speed on the 17" model but since they didn't the 15 is unlikely to be updated for a few months. The new towers are too slow and overpriced. Even the low end model should be no more than $1499. The iBook is too slow and the video card in that is junk.

Apple is treading on thin ice and they aren't going to iApp and iPod their way out of this mess.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
mattvd:

Yeah I know about that fab. My point about the Power4-G5 not being a very good laptop chip stands. Even the G4 which is known for it's low power consumption and running at only 800mhz can make the PB very hot.

Forget about G5's and all the other rumored crap people have selected as objects to endlessly predict release dates for. Think more practical. Myself, I wonder when the 130nm version of the G4 will turn up. Both Intel and AMD are just about all 130nm (for new production) now, and IBM's 750FX (512k G3) is as well. 130nm allows higher clock speeds, cooler temperatures, and cheaper manufacturing. 130nm Athlons have been overclocked to almost 2.5ghz, 130nm P4's have been overclocked well above 3.2ghz.

bigsixty

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
You left out the XServe

I saw it mentioned here already - but the XServe will most likely be the next update - at the very least bumping it to 1.25Ghz - but I would guess they might throw in a couple other tweaks to bring it up to speed with the new Desktops.

AND - you left out the other piece of rack mounted hardware mentioned in their XServe press release:

Apple today also previewed its new high-performance RAID storage product featuring industry standard 2Gb Fiber Channel, which will be introduced later this year
It does seem like the appropriate type of thing for a Seybold event.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
"If the "G5" is the IBM Power4-derivative, your chances of a G5 laptop are zero. As in it will not happen until they get much better fab technology. Why? Think for a minute about the amount of heat generated by a chip like the Power4. More than a P4, I understand, although perhaps they could make it P4-like. But how many 5-pound, 1" thick, full-feature P4 laptops do you know of? I know of zero."

So Apple is on Intel's timetable then????

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
HasanDaddy:

"So Apple is on Intel's timetable then????"

They are bound by the same laws of reality, yes. A hotter chip needs a bigger laptop with more cooling hardware. A Power4-based G5 will be a hotter chip, just like the P4 is a hotter chip.

Really, I think everyone should be screaming for 130nm G4's right now. Those would be great for laptops, in addtion to allowing probably a 33% higher clock than current 180nm chips (based on how things have gone with 130nm x86 hips).

You know the current iBook's G3 is 130nm. It makes it to 800mhz pretty easy, and has a tiny little 4-stage pipeline. On the other hand, the 180nm 4-stage G4 never made it past 533mhz. That's the power of 130nm.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I know what ya mean......but I'm still betting that Apple has a trick up their sleaves.....overall, there's been more than enough time to study the dynamics of a G5 chip, as well as a mobile G5 chip.......should the both be unvelied at the same time, I will not be surprised

but I definitely understand your point