Upcoming Apple iMac Sound System?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In an interview with Shoichi Ishida, the head of Sanyo Electric Co.'s young System Solution Development Center, Ishida mentions being more proactive in marketing their products. He mentions one specific Apple connection:

For example, when Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) released its new iMac with a 15-inch liquid crystal flat display in 2002, Ishida saw the potential to improve its sound quality with a Sanyo amplifier. After the engineer showed a custom-made prototype of the amplifier to Apple, the U.S. company saw the potential as well, and a peripheral product sporting the better sound system will come to market soon, Ishida says.

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
i find that my harmon/kardon soundsticks work fine and give me good audio playback. I don't see why this is big news, its not as if there aren't any other sound systems out that work with an iMac

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Hard to say what this means if anything. I can say that the pro speakers teamed with the i sub keeps me rockin. I guess you can allways want more power so use your stereo. sitting in front of my mac & system i usually have to turn it down a little.LUV THE ISUB & PROS!:)

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I think that if Apple is going to position itself as the BMW of the personal Computing world, then it will begin to dress up Macs like BMWs.
An iMac is a gret looking computer, and the small speakers that come with it look good and sound decent. I cannot say great because I have a pair on my QS dual 1 gig and they are weak with base and can be distorted at higher audio levels. But I have Sound sticks with iSub on another Mac and its as good as my desktop Sony stero ever is.
Since most folks do not have their computer and home stereo in the same room the market for a small 'Apple looking' amp could be large.
Its also possible that Apple could/will integrate this technology directly into the next revision, allowing for very high sound quality right out of the box. This would satisfy my earlier BMW features comment.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by greenstork
When I think of hi quality sound systems, I think of Sanyo. It's right up there with Realistic in terms of pure performance ;)
realistic did have one or two good things they sold. And as for Sanyo, who knows what they don't sell in the US that might be of good quality.

Actually with the way the Japanese conglomerates work, for all we know one of the [good]highend stereo component makers might by a subsidiary of Sanyo.

julzmon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
NYC
I hope this is sarcasm.

I have not heard a satisfying sound set up personally.

I wish someone would come out with an audiophile computer speaker system. As of now you would have to buy a little amp and sup and bookshelf's to get something truly good.

Then the mp3's will start sounding like crap :)

When I think of hi quality sound systems, I think of Sanyo. It's right up there with Realistic in terms of pure performance ;)

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
For example, when Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) released its new iMac with a 15-inch liquid crystal flat display in 2002, Ishida saw the potential to improve its sound quality with a Sanyo amplifier.

My monitor sounds just fine, thank you.

When we saw that people were using the telephone to call -long distance-, we saw the opportunity to offer OUR OWN long distance service!

So when may we call you?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Apple knows audio

Look at the TAM - a Bose sound system for heaven's sake - Apple KNOW audio!

Sanyo, I know they're stuff's cheap & cheerful here in the UK, and I know I wouldn't buy a Sanyo product.

But Bose, oh, drool.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by julzmon
I hope this is sarcasm.

I have not heard a satisfying sound set up personally.

I wish someone would come out with an audiophile computer speaker system. As of now you would have to buy a little amp and sup and bookshelf's to get something truly good.

Then the mp3's will start sounding like crap :)
Not everybody wants that kind of a system, in fact most are probably happy with the pro speakers, then maybe add an iSub. If thats not enough than maybe thay can get the soundsticks after that the creature and after all that then maybe your getting into the area what your talking about.

(And yes we are part of the few, i agree with you, but for general services.)

iStream

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2003
Sanyo is horrible. If this news came from a company like Denon, Klipsch or Energy then I'd be impressed. Haha... a Sanyo amplifier.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Re: Apple knows audio

Originally posted by gotohamish

Sanyo, I know they're stuff's cheap & cheerful here in the UK, and I know I wouldn't buy a Sanyo product.

But Bose, oh, drool.
Bose stuff is pos...

I never have had a great need for decent speakers on any of my computers because they have always been hooked up to my stereos. I would like a decent Rendevous/UPnP Receiver or pre-amp so I could just stream stuff from a file server.

freemidnight

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Quebec
Re: Upcoming Apple iMac Sound System?

Originally posted by Macrumors
In an interview with Shoichi Ishida, the head of Sanyo Electric Co.'s young System Solution Development Center, Ishida mentions being more proactive in marketing their products. He mentions one specific Apple connection:
Let's put a surround sound system!

Is it a Multimedia computer isn'it

So why this does't have 5.1 implemented in it?

Peecees does have it (SB)

5.7, 7.1, wow! I think I'm gonna manufacture power amps/speakers cabinets!:D :D :D

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by dubweiser
No highs? No lows?
Must be Bose.
Wow, you're sick on more then 1 level.

ontopic-
Sounds like a custom amp for the imac more then a speaker set. Something internal to boost sound and produce a clearer, truer sound for the next iMac rev.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I guess you all know that when you hook up an isub with the pro speakers the mac diverts power and lows via the usb to the isub and then mids and highs to the pro's. it really made a big difference then to just listening to the pros by themselves. thought i would mention that for anyone outthere with just pro's. im jamming to itunes right now and lovein it and the beer has nothing to do with it. well maybe.:rolleyes:

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Re: Apple knows audio

Originally posted by gotohamish

But Bose, oh, drool.
Bose isn't that great. Among real audiophiles, Bose is known as an overpriced consumer brand. While it may better than other consumer brands such as Sony, Pioneer, JVC, etc., it's minor perfermance advantage does not justify it's excessive price. The brand most similar to Apple in the audio world would probably be somebody like Bang & Olufsen. I think it'd be cool to see some of their products come with Apple computers :)

Tom800

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2002
Systems

Can someone explain to me the difference in sound between the 'Creature' system and the 'soundsticks' system, other than the soundsticks cost about 10 bucks more and use USB? Which is better, or what's each like?

Thanks.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Re: Apple knows audio

Originally posted by nickmcghie
The brand most similar to Apple in the audio world would probably be somebody like Bang & Olufsen.
Yes, B&O, the maker of nice-looking stuff whose sound quality can be had for much less money:rolleyes: . Don't get me wrong, I love their stuff, but better sound quality can be cheaper from other audio manufacturers.

For Apple, I think that they'll stick with Harman International (JBL, Harman Kardon, etc.) for their audio needs, since they are a large company that also has a few high-end brands in their stable (the names escape me at the moment, I'll check). Although Apple did contract with Sony a while back for Mac components...

By the way, as others have said, in the U.S., Sanyo is junk.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Systems

Originally posted by Tom800
Can someone explain to me the difference in sound between the 'Creature' system and the 'soundsticks' system, other than the soundsticks cost about 10 bucks more and use USB? Which is better, or what's each like?

Thanks.
soundsticks have 3 or 4 individual speakers in each stick. creature only has one per speaker unit. it's kind of like 4-way speakers vs. 1-way...

plus the subs are different, probably have been improved in the creature. haven't heard for myself yet.

the creature speakers are frigging ugly tho...

not that the soundsticks are any prize...

pnw

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Re: Upcoming Apple iMac Sound System?

You know, the people at Apple are probably on the right track. I think a lot of people are starting to use their computers more for an entertainment system. I, for one, have been looking at the new Klipsch GMX-D 5.1 set. Looks cool and probably sounds cooler. However, I don't think Apple should side with a company that doesn't entice true audiophiles. Sanyo is probably not that bad, but they are known to a lot of people as a maker of cheap- though relatively decent- products.

I would like:

B & O
Nakamichi
Denon
Nad
Onkyo
even Sony or Kenwood

Just a thought...how about teaming up with Mark Levinson, like Lexus did? That would truly rule.

Squire

Originally posted by freemidnight
Let's put a surround sound system!

Is it a Multimedia computer isn'it

So why this does't have 5.1 implemented in it?

Peecees does have it (SB)

5.7, 7.1, wow! I think I'm gonna manufacture power amps/speakers cabinets!:D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.