- Apr 12, 2001
The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
First Half of 2021
Apple held an event in April 2021 and introduced AirTags, new iMac models, an updated Apple TV 4K, and refreshed versions of the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
Apple held the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, debuting iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and macOS 12 Monterey. Details on everything new in these software updates can be found in our dedicated roundups.
No new hardware was introduced at WWDC, with Apple instead focusing on the new software updates that were released in the fall.
September 14 "California Streaming" Event
Apple held its annual iPhone-centric event on Tuesday, September 14. At the "California Streaming" event, Apple unveiled the iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max, all of which launched on September 24.
Apple also introduced the iPad mini 6 and the ninth-generation iPad, also with a September 24 release date.
The Apple Watch Series 7 was introduced at the September event, but due to supply constraints caused by manufacturing issues, it didn't launch until mid-October.
October 18 "Unleashed" Event
Apple held a second fall event with the tagline "Unleashed" on Monday, October 18, which focused on new high-end MacBook Pro models and third-generation AirPods, as well as some new colors for the HomePod mini. Apple also introduced a lower-cost "Voice Plan" for Apple Music.
Products Coming in 2022
- Mac mini - Apple is developing a high-end version of the Mac mini, which will feature additional ports and a more powerful Apple silicon chip. It will include an improved version of the M1 chip with a 10-core CPU that has eight high-performance cores and two energy-efficient cores, plus 16-core or 32-core GPU options. The Apple silicon chip will support up to 64GB RAM and four Thunderbolt ports. It's supposed to use the same chip that the MacBook Pro will use, but it was not announced at Apple's October event and so a 2022 debut appears likely.
- MacBook Air - Apple is developing a thinner and lighter version of the MacBook Air that will have thinner bezels than the current model. The bezels and the keyboard will be an off-white color, and the chassis will not have a wedge shape. The machine will feature a mini-LED display, MagSafe charging technology and USB-C ports for connecting external devices, but it won't have an HDMI port or an SD card slot. It will include an faster version of the M1 chip with the same number of computing cores as the M1 (eight). The new Apple silicon chip will support better graphics with nine or 10 GPU cores instead of the seven or eight in the current M1 MacBook Air. The MacBook Air could see a launch in mid-2022.
- AirPods Pro - Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods Pro with a more compact design and a new wireless chip. The design is said to eliminate the short stem that sticks out from the bottom, resulting in a more rounded shape closer in design to competing wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung.
- iPhone SE - Apple is rumored to be developing a new version of the iPhone SE with 5G and an upgraded processor, with a release expected in the first half of 2022.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- Mac Pro - Apple is working on two versions of the Mac Pro, both of which feature a redesigned chassis that's smaller in size. The new Mac Pro models will feature high-end Apple silicon chip options with 20 or 40 computing cores, made up of 6 high-performance or 32 high-performance cores and four or eight high-efficiency cores. These upgraded chips are also expected to include 64 or 128 core GPUs.
- Larger iMac - Apple is still developing a larger version of the iMac with more powerful Apple silicon chips, but paused work on the larger version to launch the 24-inch iMac model. There is no word on when the larger variant of the iMac might launch, but it is expected to include much more powerful Apple silicon chips.
Further in the Future
- AR/VR Headset - Apple is working on augmented/virtual reality headset that could come at some in 2022 or 2023. The headset is said to feature a dedicated display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and head gestures, and it's said to have a high price point at around $2,000. Current rumors suggest a launch at the end of 2022.
- Foldable iPhone - Apple is allegedly working on a foldable iPhone that might be between 7.5 and 8 inches, with a launch date slated for 2023 at the earliest.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2021 Product Refreshes and Announcements
We have a list of all the products that Apple has released so far in 2021.
- April 2021 - M1 iPad Pro
- April 2021 - M1 iMac
- April 2021 - AirTag
- April 2021 - Apple TV 4K
- April 2021 - Podcast subscriptions
- May 2021 - Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos
- June 2021 - macOS 12 Monterey (Announced)
- July 2021 - MagSafe Battery Pack
- September 2021 - iPhone 13 models
September 2021 - iPhone 13 Pro models
September 2021 - iPad mini 6
September 2021 - Ninth-generation iPad
September 2021 - Apple Watch Series 7 (Announced)
September 2021 - iOS 15
- September 2021 - iPadOS 15
- September 2021 - watchOS 8
- September 2021 - tvOS 15
- October 2021 - AirPods 3
- October 2021 - 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro
- November 2021 - Beats Fit Pro
- November 2021 - New HomePod mini colors
2020 Product Refreshes and Announcements
This list of all of the products that Apple introduced in 2020 is useful for predicting some of the dates when we might see 2021 devices.
- March 2020 - iPad Pro
- March 2020 - Magic Keyboard
- March 2020 - MacBook Air
- March 2020 - Mac mini
- March 2020 - Powerbeats
- April 2020 - iPhone SE
- May 2020 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
- June 2020 - Apple Silicon chip plans
- June 2020 - iOS 14
- June 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- June 2020 - iPadOS 14
- June 2020 - watchOS 7
- June 2020 - tvOS 14
- August 2020 - 27-inch iMac
- September 2020 - Apple Watch Series 6
- September 2020 - Apple Watch SE
- September 2020 - iPad Air
- September 2020 - Eighth-Generation iPad
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 and 12 mini
- October 2020 - iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- October 2020 - HomePod mini
- October 2020 - MagSafe
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Air
- November 2020 - M1 MacBook Pro
- November 2020 - M1 Mac mini
- November 2020 - macOS Big Sur
- December 2020 - AirPods Max
- December 2020 - Apple Fitness+
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.
Article Link: Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2021 and Beyond