- Apr 12, 2001
The MacRumors guide to upcoming products is designed to provide an overview of everything that we're expecting to see from Apple, both in the near and more distant future. Dates listed are not always concrete, but are based on the most recent rumors and information that we have.
We're updating the guide on a regular basis, so it will be the go-to place to see every Apple product that's on the horizon at a glance. For more detail on the rumors we've heard about each upcoming item, make sure to click on the links to visit our roundups.
Spring 2022 - March 8 "Peek Performance" Event
Apple in March 2022 held a "Peek Performance" event that saw the introduction of the first products of the year.
Apple unveiled the third-generation iPhone SE with 5G and an A15 chip, the fifth-generation iPad Air with M1 chip and 5G, the Mac mini/Mac Pro hybrid called the Mac Studio with new high-end M1 Ultra chip, and the Studio Display, a new 27-inch 5K display that's priced at $1,599.
Apple held its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, June 6, and introduced new software and hardware products.
Apple introduced iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS 13 Ventura, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16, the next-generation versions of its software, all of which are available to developers for testing and will be released in the fall.
WWDC also saw the first hardware unveiling we've had in June in several years, with Apple debuting the M2 MacBook Air and the M2 13-inch MacBook Pro.
We're expecting four iPhone 14 models in 2022, including the 6.1-inch iPhone 14, the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, and the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max. There will be no 5.4-inch iPhone 14 mini.
The iPhone 14 Pro models are expected to feature a "hole-punch" design that does away with the notch for a larger display area. The front-facing camera will be located in a small cutout, and Face ID hardware will be in a second pill-shaped cutout. Other possible features include a titanium frame for the Pro models, camera improvements, a faster A16 chip, an always-on display, and a faster 5G modem.
Apple Watch Series 8
The Apple Watch Series 8 could get new health features that include temperature sensing, and sleep apnea detection, and more advanced features like blood glucose monitoring and blood pressure measurements are a possibility, though may not be coming until a later date.
The Series 8 could include car crash detection, and there is expected to be a rugged model that will better hold up to extreme usage. Along with the Series 8, we're expecting an Apple Watch SE to come at the same time.
Apple is rumored to be refreshing the iPad Pro in 2022, and the 11-inch model could get the same mini-LED display introduced in the 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro. A glass back that would allow for wireless charging is also a possibility, as is a reverse wireless charging feature that would let the iPad Pro charge devices like the AirPods.
Apple is working on an updated version of the Mac Pro that could feature an Apple silicon chip with up to 40 compute cores and 128 graphics cores, which would be double the performance of the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio. We're not expecting design changes for the Mac Pro, and the update will see Apple completing its transition to Apple silicon across the Mac lineup. Design changes are not expected.
Apple is developing a high-end version of the Mac mini, which will feature additional ports and a more powerful Apple silicon chip. It's expected to use M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, and it could have a fresh design. There's no concrete word on when it might be released.
Apple is working on a new version of the AirPods Pro with a more compact design and a new wireless chip. The design is said to eliminate the short stem that sticks out from the bottom, resulting in a more rounded shape closer in design to competing wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung.
Products With Unknown Release Dates
- Low-Cost iPad - Apple is working on a new version of the low-cost iPad, which is expected to include a larger 10.5-inch display, an A14 chip, 5G, and a USB-C port.
- Larger iMac - Rumors suggest Apple is working on a larger-screened version of the iMac that will be sold alongside the 24-inch model, and this iMac could be called the "iMac Pro." It could feature a Pro Display XDR-like design, a 27-inch mini-LED display with ProMotion technology, and M1 Pro/M1 Max chips.
- 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple is working on updated versions of the 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that will use M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. The M2 Max chip will feature a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU, and the new machines are currently expected sometime in 2023.
- AR/VR Headset - Apple is working on an augmented/virtual reality headset that is rumored to feature a dedicated high-end display, built-in processor, and an "rOS" or reality operating system. Input will be via touch panels, voice activation, and hand gestures, and it's said to have a high price point at around $3,000. The AR/VR headset is likely to be unveiled in 2023.
- Foldable iPhone - Apple is allegedly working on a foldable iPhone that might be between 7.5 and 8 inches, with a launch date slated for 2023 at the earliest.
- Apple Car - There have been a lot of twists and turns in the saga of Apple's electric car development, but reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning on a full autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous car software offering, with a launch to happen between 2023 and 2025.
2022 Product Refreshes and Announcements
Apple has held two events in 2022, with the following products announced:
- March 2022 - 5G iPhone SE
- March 2022 - 5G iPad Air
- March 2022 - Mac Studio
- March 2022 - Studio Display
- June 2022 - iOS 16
- June 2022 - iPadOS 16
- June 2022 - watchOS 9
- June 2022 - tvOS 16
- June 2022 - macOS Ventura
- June 2022 - MacBook Air
- June 2022 - 13-inch MacBook Pro
2021 Product Refreshes and Announcements
We have a list of all the products that Apple released in 2021, which can be a good indicator of the release timelines of 2022 products.
- April 2021 - M1 iPad Pro
- April 2021 - M1 iMac
- April 2021 - AirTag
- April 2021 - Apple TV 4K
- April 2021 - Podcast subscriptions
- May 2021 - Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos
- June 2021 - macOS 12 Monterey (Announced)
- July 2021 - MagSafe Battery Pack
- September 2021 - iPhone 13 models
- September 2021 - iPhone 13 Pro models
- September 2021 - iPad mini 6
- September 2021 - Ninth-generation iPad
- September 2021 - Apple Watch Series 7 (Announced)
- September 2021 - iOS 15
- September 2021 - iPadOS 15
- September 2021 - watchOS 8
- September 2021 - tvOS 15
- October 2021 - AirPods 3
- October 2021 - 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro
- November 2021 - Beats Fit Pro
- November 2021 - New HomePod mini colors
Know of an upcoming product that we've missed on this list or see an error that needs to be fixed? Send us an email here.
Article Link: Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2022 and Beyond