Upcoming Fall 2020 5.4-Inch iPhone Will Be Similar in Size to iPhone 8

JMS_RainCity

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
it is possible for Apple to release TouchID 4.7-inch and FaceID 5.4-inch budget iPhone at the same time with XR's single camera lens / LED Screen / A13 chip / 3GB RAM / 64GB - former priced at $399, latter at $499 (USD) - iPhone 8 and XR then discontinue as of March 2020...

Smaller size might be what ppl wants - but battery life is one another thing that size of the phone needing to grow. Since Apple does not give super fast charging to iPhone or thicker body for more mAh, iPhone 7 / 8 size might be a good middle ground for budget variant.

iJustines

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2019
it is possible for Apple to release TouchID 4.7-inch and FaceID 5.4-inch budget iPhone at the same time with XR's single camera lens / LED Screen / A13 chip / 3GB RAM / 64GB - former priced at $399, latter at $499 (USD) - iPhone 8 and XR then discontinue as of March 2020...

Smaller size might be what ppl wants - but battery life is one another thing that size of the phone needing to grow. Since Apple does not give super fast charging to iPhone or thicker body for more mAh, iPhone 7 / 8 size might be a good middle ground for budget variant.
Most people want a bigger screen close to a SE form factor.

Reactions: femike

one more

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Interesting, as the current X, XS and 11 Pro are just slightly bigger in size than iPhones 6-8, so if we remove an extra 0,4” that new phone should still be smaller than the old ones.

Reactions: mkoesel

JulianL

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Going to the iPhone4/iPhone5 squarer metal band design thus reducing the curvature at the edges, currently not used by the display, just might allow bigger screen sizes within the same or very, very slightly increased physical dimensions as the current 5.8” and 6.5” iPhone 11 Pro models. I’m really hoping that is what is going on with the rumoured 6.1” and 6.7” 2020 models because otherwise it looks bad news for both 5.8” owners who consider that their sweet spot - they either need to accept a drop in screen size or go a fair bit bigger. For people who went Max but are at the limit of the overall device size they are comfortable with they again would be forced to choose between a quite significant drop in screen size to 6.1” or get pushed further out of their comfort zone size-wise if they want to stay with the flagship models.

I’m in the later category. I could handle a very small (a mm here & there) increase in overall physical size to go to 6.7” but I really do hope that not all of the bigger screen size corresponds to more significant increases in overall dimensions and that at least some of the screen size increase can be gained from exploiting a lesser curvature on the front glass.

Reactions: MartyvH and mkoesel

dz5b609

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
How's that a confusing rumor? A iphone Xs is slightly larger than an iPhone 8 so a 5.4 inch iPhone Xs would be similair in size to an iPhone 8.
- - Post merged: - -

why is it so ****ing hard for apple to make a small phone? guess im still staying on my SE
Not hard just economically not interesting enough. Especially if you want something like a small borderless SE, the development costs of that alone plus alloting factory time would be massive for a relatively small amount of sales (small amount for Apple anyway).

alien3dx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2017
How's that a confusing rumor? A iphone Xs is slightly larger than an iPhone 8 so a 5.4 inch iPhone Xs would be similair in size to an iPhone 8.

Not hard just economically not interesting enough. Especially if you want something like a small borderless SE, the development costs of that alone plus alloting factory time would be massive for a relatively small amount of sales (small amount for Apple anyway).
could be the biggest since android all big phone now even 200 dollar cheapest one.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
You say, "nobody wants them", when you are talking to people who want them. You know that's demonstrably false, right?
Technically one could argue that, eg, 0.4% rounded to full percentage points ends up being 0%. Though, even if 0.4% were the actual number, I'd describe this as 'almost nobody', not 'nobody'. Calling it nobody is adding insult to injury, almost saying that if you want a phone smaller than the 6/7/8, you don't really count, you're nobody.

Reactions: MartyvH

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Going to the iPhone4/iPhone5 squarer metal band design thus reducing the curvature at the edges, currently not used by the display, just might allow bigger screen sizes within the same or very, very slightly increased physical dimensions as the current 5.8” and 6.5” iPhone 11 Pro models.
Except of course that Apple is on record saying that the curved edges of the iPhone 6/7/8 were necessary to make holdable by one hand despite being larger than the iPhone 5. Meaning that making the edges straight might shave off a millimetre in terms of width but actually makes it harder to hold with one hand.

robertosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
France
Very happy to see more and more news about the 5.4, seems that it will be real ! Well there is plenty of people still using iPhone 6,6s,7,8 phones (I would say that more than people using 4", from what I see out there) so this we will be a great upgrade for all of them when you gain a bigger screen size but maintaining the overall size. Also, they can reach not only iPhone 6,6s,7,8 users but potentially some fraction of the SE users too. A new 4" phone would make happy mostly people with already a 4" phone, I don't see a big market of people going from 4.7 to 4. I think that is a reasonable move and they will sell them very well if they pack the device with great features and a reasonable price (I would say 899 being reasonable)

Reactions: niji

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
It seems odd to me that they'd make 4 different-sized phones where the difference in sizes from one to the next will be so minimal (e.g., the 8 is only slightly smaller than the X), with all having edge-to-edge displays. If they're going to make an attempt to cater to people wanting a smaller iPhone, go all the way and make it extra-small (SE-sized) but with that edge-to-edge display?
I'd say a size line-up of 5.4" - 6.1" - 6.7" seems quite well spaced. The iPhone 8-like phone is simply a separate, cheaper 'line' of iPhones. You pay less but get a worse screen to body size ratio (and no FaceID which Apple considers superior to TouchID).

Yes, people who can't afford multiple high-end devices want big phones because they use it for EVERYTHING. Those who can afford a phone, a desktop, a laptop and a tablet would prefer that the phone be a PHONE, compact & portable (like the SE). So, the ultimate luxury is a 4" iPhone. That should be the $1200 flagship.
Exactly, compact and portable and easily useable with one hand like my iPhone X/11 Pro.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
What changed between 2016 (when Joz took the stage and declared that people still want small phones) and now?
It didn’t sell like they thought it would. Not at $399, and not even when they dropped the price to $349. People wanted a bigger iPhone, even if they had to pay a lot more to get it. Turns out people did want small phones. But very few. Not enough. Cancelled, dead, buried.

Why can’t people understand that? Apple thought it would sell sufficiently well and it didn’t. So it was discontinued, like Xserve, AirPort, Time Capsule, 2013 Mac Pro, Thunderbolt Display, 12” MacBook, etc. It happens; they can’t all be winners.

why is it so ****ing hard for apple to make a small phone? guess im still staying on my SE
It’s not hard at all. They made the SE. But few wanted it, and it was discontinued.

Reactions: graphiteevo

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
What changed between 2016 (when Joz took the stage and declared that people still want small phones) and now?
The market has been slowly but steadily shifting towards larger devices for the past decade or so.

Additionally what else was he supposed to say?

I wouldn't be surprised if the actually most important selling point of the SE was price. Hey, if you want a cheaper but ******** iPhone, get this one!

Would rather frame it from the size angle. Compact phone blabla.

coyless

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
Seems simple to me:

iPhone 11s Pro (5.8/6.7 sizes)
iPhone 11s (5.4/6.1 sizes)
iPhone 9 (replacement for the SE using iPhone 8 case)

iirc the Xr and 11 run the "plus" sized iOS right? So the 5.4 will be the non-plus sized iPhone 11(s) and fits right into the lineup...

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
If people are arguing about something that’s 1/2 an inch taller and 1/4 inch wider the the SE all I can say is wow.
Yep, .58 and .34 inches to be exact, but it isn’t much on paper is it?. Still, it’s surprising how much difference small increases in size can make in how physically manageable a device is.

For example, I’ll bet most people don’t realize that difference in size between the Pro and Pro Max is only .55 and .25 inches. So, in fact, those devices are closer in size than the two we are discussing here - even more so if we think in terms of percentage increase. Yet Apple sees just how important both are. If they were to discontinue the Pro and say that everyone should just go to the Max since they are so close in size, the backlash would almost surely be immense.

Interesting, as the current X, XS and 11 Pro are just slightly bigger in size than iPhones 6-8, so if we remove an extra 0,4” that new phone should still be smaller than the old ones.
Yes. The key here is the language used in comparing the new small iPhone to the iPhone 8 - “similar”. Since devices that are close in size can nevertheless feel very different, the word similar isn’t really precise enough to deliver much meaning. In fact, it is perfect correct to say that the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are similar in size.

Going to the iPhone4/iPhone5 squarer metal band design thus reducing the curvature at the edges, currently not used by the display, just might allow bigger screen sizes within the same or very, very slightly increased physical dimensions as the current 5.8” and 6.5” iPhone 11 Pro models.
This, yes. It is very plausible for an iPhone 12 with a 0.4 inch small screen than an iPhone 11 Pro and a narrower bezel to be not just smaller than an iPhone 8, but in fact closer to the size of an SE than an iPhone 8. That is to say it may be no larger than .29 inches taller and .17 inches wider than an SE. How such a device actual feels might not quite be SE-like, but I am optimistic it could still feel very pocketable.

Last edited:

MartyvH

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
This was going to be between the 8 and the SE in size, nicely close to the SE. Wait and see. But in the absence of an all-screen SE, I will get this 5.4-inch when I offload my bulky XS in October. Sale! This is pretty close to what I see as the perfect size.

Reactions: Icaras

yossi

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2004
They really need to start adding more models of iPhones, using combination model names. Like the iPhone 12 Pro Air Max and Pro Air Max-S. This will help consumers differentiate between the various models. Would also be helpful to include within the naming scheme, the type of radio it has. For example, I would love to see an iPhone 12 ProMaxAir-5G-600mhz alongside an iPhone 12 ProMaxAir- 5G-1.6ghz.