Upcoming Stores...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ThinkSecret reports a July opening for Apple's NYC Retail Store...

Financial News reports the possibility of Apple stores in India:

Apple Computer International Ltd, a subsidiary of $6-billion Apple Computer Inc, is in the process of finalising plans to enter the retail segment in India for the first time

Meanwhile, Durham, NC's Apple store is scheduled for opening in March.

afonso

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
San Francisco
India?!

What about London?

It would be perfect... we need one in London urgently!!!

Please please please Stevie, give us one here and we'll make you even richer! :p

Afonso

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Location of NY Store

does anyone know the location of the NY store? I'd like to go look and see the progress being made.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
London does need an apple store asap, it would b a huge hit if it were on regent street or tottenham court road, i'd b over there to buy my next ibook after mwsf this summer(i think it's in san fran, rite?), with g4 900 of course

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Thats great and everything...

But there are still MANY states here in the US who dont have one. Why not focus on us first?

And if they DO decide to go overseas, why the heck India? Yeah--get one in London or Paris or Madrid or Berlin, or some other country where they have running water.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Re: Thats great and everything...

Originally posted by agreenster
But there are still MANY states here in the US who dont have one. Why not focus on us first?

And if they DO decide to go overseas, why the heck India? Yeah--get one in London or Paris or Madrid or Berlin, or some other country where they have running water.
Actually, I think India has one of the world's largest software development industries (centred around Bangalore and Bombay). Could be a clever move...

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Look, im Indian, so take my word for it...

IT AINT GONNA WORK!!!

India is FILLED with nonsense Wintel CRAP!! There is absolutely NO Mac support ANYWHERE. There are absolutely no computer stores with even one Mac software. NONE. ZIP. ZILCH.

All the Indian computer users are either programmers or normal, average PC users. So Macs in that kind if a community ISNT GOING TO WORK!!!

We should be seeing Apple Stores in Japan... look at all the die-hard graphics-mac lovers!

irmongoose

Rocketman

macrumors 603

India is a very technically advanced country and has high popluation density. It makes sense to put a few stores there since the number of potential customers per store is never less than double the US stores.

Also India is an entertainment centric culture. Their movie industry is more than double the size of the US and I suspect Jobs sees that magic.

As for London the popluation density is fairly good but talk about picky buyers!

Jerry

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
good idea

Originally posted by irmongoose

IT AINT GONNA WORK!!!

India is FILLED with nonsense Wintel CRAP!! There is absolutely NO Mac support ANYWHERE. There are absolutely no computer stores with even one Mac software. NONE. ZIP. ZILCH.

All the Indian computer users are either programmers or normal, average PC users. So Macs in that kind if a community ISNT GOING TO WORK!!!

We should be seeing Apple Stores in Japan... look at all the die-hard graphics-mac lovers!

irmongoose
But see what you are saying? This is what Apple is trying to do...win over wintel users and it sounds like India is in need of some Apple products. Keep in mind that this is if they are actually going to put an Apple store there.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by irmongoose

IT AINT GONNA WORK!!!

irmongoose
Yea, you're right, Apple didn't research this at all. They are stupid and will be a complete failure because they are blindly opening a store in a country where they obviously won't sell one computer. They have no idea what they are doing, they are complete morons with no marketing sense.

They should hire you to decide where to open up their stores since you obviously have so much more education and experience in the retail store market:rolleyes:

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

You think they probably know where the markets are?

You think you could be a bit more close minded??

I was quite supprise to see this from you. I've been reading the posts here for quite a while and decided to register and respond....

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Re: Location of NY Store

It's on Prince Street between Mercer St and Greene St.

I'm sure it will be done by July. They've started.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
India is a good choice.

This makes sense if apple wants to capture a larger segment of market. I agree, cheap wintel pc sells more in India, but Unix is equally strong market in India. Most of the IT professionals coming from India are Unix programmers. If Apple can convert even a small percent of Unix gurus to Mac OS X, apple succeeded. Look at Sun, they moved most of their development to India.So is IBM. So it is a step in the right direction.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
India???

This is atually nice for them...

But we shouldn't come first??? Cause i,M living in canada, and I can't even understand why those guys will get an Apple Store before Canada's fan... anyway... i'm just happy for them!

Does somebody know why Apple is trying to put some of their store right there... well , i mean, India is probably not their second most important market?

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What Gives?

I'm sure each and every one of the Apple store locations is heavily researched. There seems to be way too much "we're better then them," or" we need a store more than them." I would love an Apple store of my own in Kalamazoo, Michigan but I know that is not in everyone's best intrest.

I was hoping there would be more support for Apple's development overseas whereever it is. Instead there is complaining, bitching, and ethnocentric slurs everrwhere. What gives?

beigemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
indian mac's

I've been to India on holiday and I found out first-hand that Indians are the biggest geeks when it comes to computers! They love them and can be seen carrying them on bikes (when perchasing them ofcourse)! I guess in terms of branded PC's Dell and Compaq rule. Dell has their own order direct thingy, indians also buy alot of asembled PC's. In addition pirated PC software litters the markets while Pirated Mac software is hard to find (a needle in a hay stack). I've read their local PC magazines and it seems that Macs are recived as some what expensive futuristic and sexy PC's, and there also on the butt-end of every PC mags joke section! The TV shows and adverts mostly show people using the old Imacs. Reviews aways give them good ratings but the trend in these reviews read like "Maybe if the price was...." Apparently the Indian goverment levies huge taxes on imports whish actually crushes Apples viability as an option. I heard that Apple wanted to make a production or asembly plant in INdia to drastically cut cost but, it is still in Indian government red tape. The IT education sector in India is very big and the new trend has been focusing on multimedia, students are gonna finish their course maybe wanting to set up a multimedia service with their friends. Another reason for Mac to do something so they can cash in.

ANyway iv'e also been to Nepal on Holiday, Nepal is India's neighbour and 70% of all Graphic house use mac and thrive on pirated MAc software! For Apple to hit it big on a consumer level i think they will have to restructure their price stratergy for 3rd world countries either by having a regional production or assembly plant or simply by bringinout cheaper models. Hey Bill Gates and Craig Barret would'nt have come to India if they did'nt see any money! Apple's only way to increase market share is to think globally. So go get yourself a curry and an extra roll of TP cause India in the house!

Anyway I herd its easier to make a bomb on the Mac cause of its Giga Flop calculations so maybe it will do well in Pakistan and Afganistan as well!

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
ya mon

really, the attitude that is exposed is amazing.

I am canadian but not surprised there are no plans to open stores in Canada.
Canada the second biggest Mac market? I don't think so, maybe Japan?

India is a great market, for exactly the reasons irmongoose stated it shouldn't be, a little bit of growth there would go a long way. Maybe Indians are getting tired of the PC crap. Maybe Bollywood might like to use FCP to make more movies etc? There must be huge media oppurtunities in India?

And besides, the original story said Apples Indian distributor would operate the stores. So people with local knowledge are managing the stores.

ThorPrime

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2001
Wow,

I guess I'm luckier than I thought. There are two apple stores aprox two hours away from my home. San Jose and Palo alto. I waited months for those stores but I forget there are so many mac fans still apple storeless.

my heart goes out to you. :(

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
CT
apple store in ny

there isn't an apple store in NYC, but however, I saw work being done on an apple store in the Palisades Mall, NY (if anyone knows where I'm talking about) a couple months ago