Update disaster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bearcatrp, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

My brother has a iphone4, a 1.66 mini with tiger. Synced his phone using usb to his mini. Update showed up so he went with it. Disaster. Got corrupt some how. Had no choice but follow on screen directions to set back to factory defaults. He thought he lost everything. Was surprised he didn't loose his photos. But lost all music and most programs. He did not have icloud turned on. He got everything back up and running using OTA update but found out his entire music on the phone and on the mini was erased. The music is all legit.
    Why would doing this update erase everything on his mini? He is pretty mad but told him I would look into it to find out why. Thanks in advanced for comments.

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I don't know how music is organized on a MAC, but perhaps he moved his music to another folder and iTunes can't locate the music? If it can't detect the music, it won't be able to sync it.

3. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

He is not on the techie side so that is a no. I set up all his stuff or talk him through configuring.

4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Is the music still showing up on iTunes at all? He can try playing the music to see if it will play, or if it will need to locate the file because the files been moved. Never had an issue with an iTunes update removing music from the library.

5. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Its gone from itunes. Somehow, this nightmare deleted all music from phone and itunes on the mini.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Was the music purchased from iTunes or some dither digital music store? You may be able to redownloas the tunes.

Maybe try a data recovery program? They work pretty well.

I've actually never heard of a factory restore deleting the tunes from the actual computer iTunes library I'm sorry to say.

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Does he have multiple itunes accounts? Or after setting up as new did he create a new itunes account by accident? On phone, go to store and see if the itunes account is correct. If not, log off and log on with correct itunes account.

8. blueroom, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do you not have a backup?

I meant on his Mini.

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

He mentioned iCloud in general was not enabled and it was through an OTA update so I would have to say there was no backup

10. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

The rest of the mini is fine. Just the music is gone. He will have to pull out all his cd's and reinstall all of it. He sent a email off the apple to see what they have to say but he is about to go back to pc. Took me a few years to get him into a mac. Oh well, crap happens. I'll have to see if he has a backup. Thanks folks.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've screwed up my share of iOS and Mac OS updates over the last few years, and never have I had my music on my Mac just suddenly disappear.

I've seen people accidentally wipe music off of their iOS devices by syncing with an different computer before, but that's about it.