Update for USA guys, NO UNLOCKED right now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acarney, Sep 14, 2012.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

No unlocked phones are being sold right now sadly :-/

2. cbutters macrumors member

What about the no commitment option from ATT, these phones are unlocked correct.... just have to maybe pay the activation fee and first months service?

3. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see any option of that on the apple store...

4. cbutters macrumors member

it is only on the att.com website, choose preorder then choose the "no commitment" option

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Unfortunately, it isn't available from the Apple site and AT&T's site is jammed. It's been at the "Loading" screen for nearly an hour. I decided to go ahead and order it on contract from the iOS app. I figure if tomorrow AT&T's site lets me order a no-commitment version, I'll just do that and cancel my pre-order from Apple. If not, I have 30 days from 9/21 to figure something out (which may mean returning it if the unlocked version becomes available by then).

----------

Good luck getting that to work tonight, though.

6. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

So no iPhone 5 for me today will stay with my iPhone 4S factory unlocked
    will buy when Apple will sell it unlocked:mad:

7. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm.... I got an error saying they couldn't contact the carrier and they would reserve the phone for me and then try again later and email me. Once I get e emai, I'll have 24 hours to finish buying it without losing my spot...

Hoping I can talk to apple then about an unlocked one...

8. travisiscoolest macrumors newbie

ATT has small print that says new 2 yr or no-commitment pricing requires qualifying voice plan and data plan :/

9. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, which I have (4S user already, just don't want to extend my contract....)

----------

AT&T's phone center is closed and Apple's actually just HANGS UP on you because of "high demand, please call back later" :-/

10. cbutters, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

cbutters macrumors member

So I ordered a no-commitment iphone5, with the smallest plan possible... from some things I have read, no commitment iphones in the past come factory unlocked anyways.. see http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/16/att-iphone-4s-already-unlocked/

and also here:
    http://www.mactrast.com/2011/06/report-apple-is-now-unlocking-all-no-commitment-att-iphone-4s/

hopefully i can cancel within 3 days and avoid paying any activation or monthly fees without returning the device. Even if I can't, I am only out the 59.99 extra for that first month of service, which is probably fine until T-mobile gets nano-sim in stock. Even if the phone doesn't come unlocked, the no-commitment device should be able to be unlocked via request after cancelling the first month. At least this way I have something to play with on launch day.

11. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

Man I'm really thinking about doing that... you can't seem to buy one as an existing customer as it just dumps you into a circle of errors and check for upgrades and more errors. Might try as a new customer and then play dumb with AT&T and explain that I have an account already and I just wanted the no commitment phone but their stupid site only let me order it this way!