Update late 2006-MBP harddrive (maybe monitor)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pit29, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I have a late 2006 core 2 duo MBP. Harddrive is 160GB, but almost full, so I am thinking of replacing it. (I know, this will void my warranty.) I have been reading this thread which seems very enthusiastic - but I hope not to run into the same permission problem, if it was one.

I am wondering: who has upgraded his/her harddrive? Any recommendations (SpinPoint, Western Digital)? What about noise and power issues? Anything special I need to be aware of? I am planning to follow this ifixit guide.

I appreciate your input...
    Pit

2. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Several answers:
    Ifixit is great -- but you don't need to follow it like a religion. As you get the top off, it was easier for me not to disconnect some of the wires -- but you will see and can make that judgement on your own.
    Keep track of your screws -- ice tray, tape -- whatever. This is the part that messes me up more than anything.
    At one point in the top removal I felt like I was holding floppy sheet metal in a high school shop class. It passed.
    I got a Scorpio black 320gb/7200rpm WD -- I got it for the name -- it sounds really cool. My system seems faster than stock -- no noise at all, minimal heat increase, if any. Battery life down about 10%. Brought it from amazon and am happy with it.
    Either clone program works (CCC, Superduper) but if I had to do it over again I'd just back up from time machine -- but it's hard to go wrong with any of these choices.

good luck.

3. srexy macrumors 6502a

+1 for the Scorpio Black - my MBP is the same vintage as the OP's and has definitely regained the spring in its step since the 3gb ram and HDD upgrade.

The one piece of advice I have to offer is that when you go to pressing the keyboard cap back on along the front edge - use a wide flat-head screwdriver to brace the optical drive opening as you push. IE- put the head of the screwdriver against the upper portion of the drive opening and pull up as you push down on the cap. During my first drive replacement I ended up bending the case at this point due to sloppy re-assembly.

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Why would upgrading the HDD void your warranty?