Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resourceful

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Having some issues getting my MacBook Pro updated to OS X Mavericks. I have a MacBook Pro 1,1. I have been reading all over the internet. I followed Tiamo's guide, a thread on SuperUser titled "How to upgrade Mac Pro 1.1 from OS X 10.6.8 to OS X 10.9 Mavericks?", and various threads here.

I think I have followed both accurately to create the boot drive and edit the files within so it can work with my MacBook Pro 1,1. Currently when I try to boot off the thumbdrive I see a blinking folder with a question mark on it. Shortly after that I just see the apple logo and it hangs there until hold the power button down for a hard reset. I can then boot back into 10.6.8 just fine.

Looking for any tips to get the installation going. I am using the Install OS X Mavericks version 1.3.46; as reported in the properties of the installer, to make boot disk from. Been working on this one for about eight hours. Figured it was time to ask for help. Thanks in advance.

librarian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
The Macbook pro 1.1 can't run new mac OS X versions past Snow Leopard. It does not have a 64bit CPU wich is required.

Resourceful

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Seems to be working no problem for others out there. Lots of threads on it. I think they might be doing something that I am overlooking.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Seems to be working no problem for others out there. Lots of threads on it. I think they might be doing something that I am overlooking.

You could start by paying closer attention to the thread titles.

Some people are getting Mavericks to run on a 1st-gen Mac Pro.

Nobody is getting Mavericks to run on a MacBook Pro of that vintage.

Mac Pro is a desktop machine. MacBook Pro is a laptop. The MacBookPro1,1 will never run Mavericks.

-- Nathan

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

MacBook Pro 1,1 will not run it. Hell, it does not update past Snow Leopard. Overclocking does not enable 64-bit support required for OS X Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.