Update on LTE for AT&T iPhone 5 using iPad sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macsation, Jan 20, 2013.

1. macsation macrumors member

macsation

I got AT&T to switch my iphone plan to an ipad plan. I took the sim out of my new ipad mini and put it in my 4s, thus creating a data only iphone. With my corporate discount, I end up paying $24/ month for 3gb of data. Awesome!:p

I use google voice and talkatone and also Skype.

However, sometimes when I'm in my car, Skype n Talkatone are pretty bad over 4g. I'd love to see if LTE would make a difference on an iPhone 5. But, I read that LTE doesn't work using an ipad sim in an iPhone 5.

Any updates/solutions on this? I'd love to buy a 5 for better voip service.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Did you get AT&T to actually switch this in your account, or did you just swap sims? AT&T will figure out you have done this if you only swapped sims.

3. macsation thread starter macrumors member

macsation

AT&T switched my plan to an ipad plan. I used unlock.nz to allow it to work on iPhone. This is pretty common according to old threads. Numerous users have said they've had this setup for over a year without AT&T discovering it. Honestly, I could care less if they do, lol. I'll just switch to Straight Talk n dump AT&T for good.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Why not go to ST for your iphone 5? Unlimited everything for $45.

5. macsation thread starter macrumors member

macsation

Avoid ETF, which is about $185 now. Also, it's cool to just have a data only iPhone! I rarely use the phone portion anymore. If anybody really needs to call me I can usually wait until I'm in a wifi zone, or in a good data area. Just would be nice to be able to use the phone more effectively in the car.

Straight talk also doesn't have LTE. I'd like to have LTE data moving forward.

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

They say the data in unlimited but I believe they throttle after 2GB. There are complaints all over about being throttled.