Update on the rattle issue I was having.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Supposedly there's actually some kind of internal document from Apple acknowledging it from what the Apple Tech told me. Apple is saying it's related to the image stabilization in the camera. This is for folks who *DO NOT* have the vibrate rattle (that's a whole different deal...and Apple will fix that) but just the rattle when you tap near the camera. He even took my phone apart to look for a loose screw, etc. Everything was perfect.

Just for kicks, I went around to *every single 4S in the entire store* and 100% of them had the same rattle. I believe there were ten on display (somewhere around there).

Just thought someone might want to know.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I posted this a couple weeks ago, but thanks! :rolleyes:

3. pbateman macrumors 6502

Good to know...i was starting to think i might have to go back and exchange it

4. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Be nice.

5. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Thanks for sharing that. I had my concerns, but that has gave me a bit piece of mind.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Crazy but I posted the same exact thing a few days ago and got a whole bunch of negatives and people saying they have no camera rattle. Which is not true...every iPhone has it.

7. username008 macrumors regular

Besides hearing the rattle when tapping near the camera... Does anyone hear it when they set the phone down?

8. hollowplayer macrumors regular

come on guys, try nokia. all of them have rattle with decent caemera.

9. Smores88 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the info! That's good to know. Unfortunately, mine has the "vibrate rattle." I took it to the Apple store today and the first two geniuses said it was a bad case. The third said it was normal and due to the new vibration motor. The demo they had also made that buzzing sound. They did however say that if it didn't get better, to come back in.. I don't want to have to replace it, but that noise is just so loud. It's enough to wake you up!

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not sure my phone rattles. Or maybe I'm not sure what to listen for.

11. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've had three Apple techs tell me the vibrate rattle is NOT normal. None of my three 4S had it.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Lightly tap the top of your phone in your hand, you should hear it then.

13. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

hmmm

No sound here. :/

14. PPFee macrumors 6502

Yea, I thought i was just being A.D.D but glad to see I'm not the only one, but this is acceptable, even expected though is that right. As far as the vibration rattle, mine does that as well. It startled me a couple days ago, it hadn't done it before and just sounded completely different, and doesn't always do it either. Its hard to replicate sometimes so far. What is the right course of action pertaining to the vibrate motor rattle? Thanks guys.

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Yes and it's the same thing. It's normal.

16. Smores88 macrumors newbie

Thank you for the confirmation. I went back in to the store today and they replaced for me. The new one is quiet and smooth, nothing like that awful buzzing noise :).

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well then clearly your phone doesn't have image stabilization, enjoy! lol

18. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Great news! Glad to hear they took care of you.

19. richard371 macrumors 68000

My first one had the vibragate. Replaced it Sunday and the new one has been perfect and then it started again yesterday. No I am concerned there is some flaw with the vibrators. May show up immediately, a few days or weeks later etc. At this point I am tired of replacing screen protectors etc so maybe I should just wait and see if Apple rectifies this problem as it is common.

Again this is not the camera lens rattle. That is different and normal.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Just to add, I also had a Senior Apple Tech tell me it's not normal. They booked me an appointment to have it looked at along with my horrendous upload speeds on my 4S.

21. cababah macrumors 68000

So the consensus from Apple is:

Camera module rattle - Normal

Vibrate rattle - Not normal

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Did Apple say they would fix it? I went to my local Apple store and the guy told me that because his new iPhone 4S also does it that the rattle is normal. I'm referring to the vibrate rattle, not the camera rattle.

23. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

2 of my friends have gotten replacement for the vibrate rattle in Houston, no questions asked (once the tech heard it). Camera rattle? No such luck.

24. TonyC28, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm gonna try my local Apple store again. The first time I went in there they told me it was normal since the Genius' phone was making the same noise. And the Apple support person I just spoke to on the phone said that my call about this issue was the first time she heard anything about it. I didn't want to get into a debate with her about the several threads on Apple's website about this issue, so oh well.

UPDATE
    No dice on the Apple store. Once again they told me it is normal. Tell me you can't officially acknowledge a problem until Cupertino says so. Tell me that I'm in the minority and it's not a problem worth fixing yet. Tell me I'm just going to have to suck it up. But don't tell me that a it's normal. It isn't normal for a phone on vibrate to rattle like something is loose and be loud enough to hear from across the room.