Update: Sold iP5 --- Who cant go back to a 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Edit: I ended up selling the iPhone 5 today and went back to my 4S.

At first I was overjoyed to get the 'latest and greatest' and have a new toy, but over time annoyances started to wear on me tO the point that I had to go back to my 4S.

I will make a thread detailing these annoyances soon.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I never tried to hold out, sold my 4s about a month ago. But after using the iPhone 5, the 4 and 4s look short and fat to me now. But more seriously, the speed improvements have been amazing, along with the extra battery life and larger screen, I wouldn't want to go back to a 4s.

3. lawlbringer macrumors regular

Actually, I'm considering returning my black/slate iPhone 5 and just outright buying a 4S. Wait for the issues to be sorted out, and don't adopt early...I am regretting it because I am a "scuffgate" witness.

Reasons?

- The boost in speed from a 4S is nice, but not exactly night and day. I was coming from a 4, so the difference was very noticeable, but I did have a 4S for 2 weeks and noticed that was definitely faster too.
    - I don't use mobile data much(LTE is nice, but I won't use it.)
    - The 4/4S may weigh a bit more, but is a lot more solid and well built
    - The extra screen space is nice, but it's not that much more. If it were taller AND wider, I would have a harder time parting with it.
    - The taller screen, depending on how you hold it, requires you to reach more to hit the power button(if you use it a lot like I do.)
    - The power button on the 5 isn't very snug, and rattles when the phone vibrates
    - The aluminum band around the 5(black/slate) looks painted on, and people with dings/scuffs clearly show the silver underneath. This will probably be the case with everyday wear and tear on the phone.
    - The new speaker is louder, but the quality isn't that great

4. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Yep, that's about how I feel. I gave my mom my 4S, so I still get to compare the two phones quite often. When I was putting on my mom's new case, the 4S screen looked so tiny and the phone felt so heavy by comparison. About the only thing I miss from my 4S is the home button--not as hard to press as the 5.

I couldn't go back to the 4S for several reasons:

1. The screen size (I need the bigger screen)
    2. The speed of the device. I can be doing a bunch of different things and it still runs smoothly.
    3. The camera. The pictures I'm taking with this new camera are better than the ones I took with the 4S.
    4. The space. My 4S only had 16GB space; my 5 has 32GB. That's enough to store a lot of music, apps, photos etc.

5. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Between the LTE service and the speed of the phone I could never go back to my 4S. It won't be missed along with the horrible AT&T service that it was on.

6. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Yep.

I'm having to keep using the 4S as a second phone whilst the joke of a phone company o2 lets me get through to them to get a puk code and move my number and it's like......I can't believe I used this iPhone for a year!

For me it's the obvious taller screen...
    It's louder
    Home button feels loads better
    Back feels incredible
    Weight is impressively great
    And I love the new connector!

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The 5 is a total upgrade not like going from the 4 to the 4S.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Considering going back to my 4 actually. The longer screen is not really doing it for me, the 4 though heavier feels better In my hand . Just the simplest task of typing feels right on the 4 , and ackward on the 5,

Speed is not a huge issue with myself as I am not a big app user. As jobs said the 4 was like a Leica .... And it feels that way, the 5 is like the Japanese got a Leica camera and improved on it in eveyway, though at the same time loosing the character that is Leica. If you owned a Leica camera and say a canon you would understand .

9. zhandri macrumors 6502

i love the iphone 5. it feels so much better in terms of shape and weight. mine is flawless atm but i am concerned that the color will start flaking off soon :(

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

While I think that the 5 is better than the 4s, it is not a huge leap in technology. The 5 is what Apple should have released after the 4 rather than the 4S. The biggest improvement for me was LTE and Apple did not invent LTE.

I like the larger screen but would not have minded it getting wider as just longer limits it's advantages but I understand it is the best Apple could do without upsetting its users.

Apple has real competition out there and resting on its laurels is no longer an option, they will need to step up in the future.

I do like my iPhine 5!

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I can easily live with both. *shrug*

The 4S is still an amazing device.

12. thet3chbr0th3r5 macrumors member

thet3chbr0th3r5

13. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I think they will keep on with the design of the 4 and 5. The thing is, they wanna reach the perfect design. The 5 is just an upgrade of that design. It gets better!:)

14. icanfly macrumors newbie

Hang on landscape browsing sucks remember? That's why the iPad is 4:3 form factor not 16:9 or 16:10. You really need the squarish aspect ratio to browse the web

15. itsLouieV macrumors regular

itsLouieV

I could easily go back, it would be an inconvenience and i would prefer not to, but i can.

I am actually still using my iphone 4 at work with wifi, and honestly dont think i will get rid of it until there is a jailbreak available for the iphone 5 or until apple allows widgets on the homepages...

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

Like the look of the black 4S better, was considering cancelling the 5.

Text is the same size on both models in portrait mode. Still too small.
    Flip it to landscape and you actually see more of a web page on the 4/4s.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

These threads "I could never go back after blah, blah, blah" usually reflect easily impressed, single minded Apple devotees desire to fawn over Apple.

For those of us who's lives do not revolve around the brand, it's particularly interesting to speculate what these people do when faced with the routine decisions of everyday living.

To use a currently fashionable expression: Just Sayin... :)

18. Max Archer macrumors member

I will say that it's interesting how quickly the iPhone 5 made the 4 feel clunky and archaic by comparison. The thickness and weight are really nice. I'd probably be saying the same things had I bought a Galaxy S3 or something.

19. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I could go back if I had to, but I sure would sure hate to. I absolutely love my new iPhone 5. It's thinness, light weight, and speed are great things. But the thing I like the most is the bigger screen. It may not sound like much, but to me the screen change is really noticeable and I'd hate to go back to the old 4 screen size.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

My first thought was 'we have a new Bobby in the house'.

Personally, I had hoped I'd get excited about the 5 (over my 4), but it just isn't happening. The 5 (and all it's problems, especially the mess that is Apple maps) kind of saddens me. I think more than anything else, it's iOS 6 that's a total let down, but that small/tall screen still looks goofy.

21. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

If the 4s:
    Had LTE
    Was as fast
    Had a stronger backside
    Was as loud
    Had longer battery life
    I would go back.

But I cannot because its off to its new owner.

22. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm sorry but I don't see the 5 as being a big enough upgrade since I already have a 4S. The screen is nice, the speed increase is nice. But nothing major for me to want one. LTE is also nice but I'm on wifi 80% of the time, and my 3G is pretty quick anyways.

I think it's crazy that people think the 5 is that much better than a 4S. It's faster, but not by much. I think all the 5 owners who had 4S are just trying convince themselves they made a good choice by getting the 5. If you have a 4, it'd be a good choice. For those that are reasonable and don't need the newest phone every year, the 4S is still a beast, and in my opinion better built.

Next year.