Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
A few hours ago I received an e-mail from Apple about Spoken Interface (which I have a legal copy of). They mentioned the general name change to VoiceOver, as well as other name changes (none of which the general public will know about). But, this is what was really interesting:

Now for a reminder. The preview software you are using is tightly knit into the fabric of Mac OS X and relies on a wide variety of features and technologies in the operating system to function correctly. Therefore, Apple highly recommends that you do NOT install any Mac OS X Software or security updates on the same system running the spoken interface preview software. These updates are not intended for those running the spoken interface preview. To prevent updates from appearing or being automatically installed, turn off the "Check for updates" and "Download important updates in the background" in the Software Updates panel in System Preferences. Also in System Preferences, turn off "Check for updates automatically" in the Update tab of the QuickTime panel.

I thought this was really weird that Apple would only support the current version of Mac OS X. They required 10.3.4 for installation, and it looks like I'll be stuck there until Tiger comes out next year. I don't know if there have been security updates since I installed the preview software (June 9th). Anyway, I thought that that would be interesting to some of you.

Oh, btw, the e-mail was from "The Tiger VoiceOver team." I would say that is interesting but then I would have said interesting way too many times in this post.
–Chase

Drewswa77

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2004
Boise, ID
That is interesting

Id love to be able to call up photoshop tools with my voice. Not to mention using voice to IM or "write" emails. This would be a very huge feature of tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.