"Update Unavailable with This Apple ID"

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
I received my MBP 2018 around 24 hours ago, a refurb directly from Apple's own website. I immediately logged into my Apple account. I want to install the updates on the App Store, but I get this message:

"Update Unavailable with This Apple ID"
"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or canceled?"

...What? I literally have no idea what it's talking about. These are the default updates available right away for Pages, Keynote, iMovie, Numbers and Garage Band.

I have tried "claiming" the items to my account, but it says "your request is temporarily unable to be processed."

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Where did you buy your 2018 MacBook Pro? Was it new, refurb, used, or....? It sounds like your 2018 MacBook Pro may have been a returned item to the store. Best Buy does this but usually will say "Open Box item".

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i got this setting up a friend's refurbished mac; neither of us are sure how we got past it! but try signing out, then back in, to the appstore...

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It was a refurb directly from Apple's own website.
Then, you'll need to sort this out with Apple Customer Support. I see that you mentioned it was a refurb from Apple in your first post, I must overlooked that. Give Customer Support a call and they should be able to straighten it out for you.

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Okay, I got Apple's customer support and they had me reformat my computer and re-install Mojave. It seems to be working fine now, but I'll come back if there are further issues.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Okay, I got Apple's customer support and they had me reformat my computer and re-install Mojave. It seems to be working fine now, but I'll come back if there are further issues.
ah, well. had you at least tried what i suggested? we didn't have to go thru anything as dramatic as that. but glad you got it sorted...

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
ah, well. had you at least tried what i suggested? we didn't have to go thru anything as dramatic as that. but glad you got it sorted...
It was giving me problems before I installed Mojave too, so logging out and back in didn't make a difference. But thanks anyway. Luckily I had pretty much no files on the computer so it was very easy to reformat quickly.

Reactions: fisherking