(UPDATED AGAIN)Touchmods mic just arrived in the mail!! Now I can make VoIP calls!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by phoenix.stu, Jan 8, 2008.

1. phoenix.stu macrumors member

Well, I am now the proud owner of a custom handcrafted official Touchmods mic.
    I have to say that it is a beauty. I am pleased to have it and it works great!!! AND it arrived in just 3 days.
    Before anyone starts complaining about why they haven't received theirs yet. . . I ordered my way before they decided to take the 500 pre orders. Be patient guys, your will come soon. If you haven't ordered one yet you can go to the touchmods site and do so. http://touchmods.net

Thanks alot Touchmods team. Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

I also made a short video of it as well. Hope you enjoy the vid.

iPod Touch/iPhone users click here
    NOTE: By viewing it on the ipod, it is much clearer.

To view on your computer
    click here

UPDATE:
    The time has arrived and the new mic's are reported to be shipping in just a few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cost is 30Euro or 45 US Dollars. If you need more details please visit the touchmods site or read my report on it at my site

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Touchmods team I am only a loyal supporter who believes in their products.

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Is the quality as good as they presume it to be? In the video it seems as clear (or if not, clearer) than an ordinary phone. Quite impressive.

3. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

I believe that it is. You can hear my voice crystal clear. I have not encountered any crackling. I can hear with the earbuds in quite reasonably.

There is however, a small delay between talking. You have to wait just a second before they can hear you. That could also be just because of my provider. Not sure at the moment. I will test another provider soon. I will be making another video in the next couple of days with a conversation between two parties. So keep an eye out.

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Wow, I think I'm convinced. That small delay isn't that big of a deal, I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, and nice tats.

5. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

After speaking with the Touchmods team. It seems that the delay could be a sw issue and is something that is already being discussed at the moment. It is possible that it would be fixed in a future update of the sw. :)

I do not regret getting it at all. I am really pleased.

I am in contact with the Touchmods team quite alot recently. So if you have any further questions I will do my best to answer them for you.

6. dagored macrumors 65816

Who are you using as a provider and how much does it cost? I'm not too clear on voip. I thought it cost something.

7. delude macrumors 6502

Just for the sake of him not being on at the minute, he uses Voip buster (www.voipbuster.com). its free for 300 minutes a week, but after that you'll have to pay.

8. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

Do you think you could test the mic out with the Listen app to see if it works all right?

9. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

@delude - Thanks for the reply for me. I was catching some quality Zzz's :D

PlayWithTV -
    I have not tested it personally. Sorry, it is not something that I would use.
    However over at the Touchmods site this was said about it
    I hope that helps. If you want to get a more specific answer go here and look for the user "D3fPo3t" Also, you can leave a comment there for him OR you can look at the posts on that page, he left his email. You can email him with your question.

10. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Does the inclusion of the microphone allow you to use "iPhone only" apps like the voice notes application? I use notes the most out of all applications, if I could save them as sound files it would help me out far more than VoIP calls. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth!

I was searching your site and theirs for a price for the microphone, do they have a ballpark yet for when they do start getting it produced? I don't want to pre-order without having a price in mind.

11. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

As far as I know you can use it with VNotes, Nikotalki. I will talk with the Touchmods team a little later this evening, and I will get back to you with a positive answer. But I do recall reading somewhere on his blogs that it works with that.

As for the price. It is listed on their FAQ page. I will update my site to reflect that information. Thanks for reminding me. I seemed to have left that out as it is a very common question.

They will be 30Euro, roughly 40 or 45dollars. That will include S&H. Well worth the price.

Get back to me if you have any further questions.

EDIT: I just installed voice notes and tested it for you. I have attached a file that I just recored for you. Check it out.
    The file gets stored on you ipod touch at
    Code:
    ~/Library/Recordings

Attached Files:

12. Bitter macrumors member

EEK, $40+ to make calls only in a WiFi area? I wanted this, but now I will have to pass for now. I can afford it easily, but it isn't worth something where I can just use my house phone at home without having to pay $40+. Maybe if SIP VoIP has more features in the future or something I will get it.

Bitter.

13. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

Well, to each his own I guess. It is not for everybody. But you are forgetting about something. This mic is not limited to just VoIP. Some people will want it for just that and others will want it for the voice notes. This by the way, is a very useful app for many people. Some will use it for the Nikotalki. And some will use it for that new app Listen(not quite sure about that one yet). So having the mic is a very useful item to have around.

I can promise you that new features are on the horizon. Just keep an eye on their site and who knows, they might add an update or make a mic to your liking. If you check their page they are working on wireless capabilities and also hands free capabilities.

14. Bitter macrumors member

I'll definitely keep it in mind. The mic is great and if I do end up buying a mic, it will be the touchmods.net mic. I just need to look into this more probably. Hopefully SIP-VoIP will have a promising future and it will pave the way for many other important things to come from touchmods.

Bitter.

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I also pre-ordered/pre-paid for a mic from them. I haven't received it yet, but that's because they are still in production. I can't wait to get it and try it out! :)

16. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

Please check my first post as I have updated it with new information.

17. delude macrumors 6502

18. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What tattoo's?

19. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

:eek::D

UPDATE:

If you haven't seen this yet, this is just in off of the touchmods site.

20. Bitter macrumors member

I pre-reserved like 2 days ago, does this mean I should be getting an email now? Or should I expect one in a little while since I just placed my reserve?

Bitter.

21. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

Well, that is a good question. Check your email and check your spam/junk mail and make sure that you are checking on the same email account that you registered with. If you do not receive your email, by maybe tomorrow. You might be on the list of the next batch.
    For a faster response, go here and post your question. Marian will answer before the day has finished. He usually does. http://touchmods.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/here-she-comes/#comments

Also, it seems that they have had alot more people ordering than they expected. This was taken from their FAQ page. Maybe this would be helpful to you.

22. delude macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered mine on the 23rd December, and received the email yesterday. Its been paid for and now I'm just hoping it will arive soon :D

23. phoenix.stu thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure exactly when they will ship. I am assuming VERY soon though.
    Mine only took three days to arrive once it was shipped.

24. carvalhinhosa macrumors newbie

Scam

This is a very slick scam. Don't fall for it. I'd urge anyone who's "pre-ordered" to do a charge-back or contact their credit card company immediately. You're going to be strung along for weeks otherwise, and eventually these guys will disappear.

25. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Pretty big claims. Any proof to back that up?