Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanmacUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I ran the HS beta 3 update, iMac rebooted, long beep tone and firmware updated. Mac then proceeded to boot but hung. After 20 or so minutes I did a hard reset and on reboot, I get the padlock screen and can't get passed it. Account password does not work.

Any ideas?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
That screen shows up when you've set a firmware password. If you didn't set a firmware password but you're having this issue, you'll have to take it to an Apple Store or Apple Certified Repair to fix it with proof of purchase (that might be difficult if you didn't save the receipt or box).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I ran the HS beta 3 update, iMac rebooted, long beep tone and firmware updated. Mac then proceeded to boot but hung. After 20 or so minutes I did a hard reset and on reboot, I get the padlock screen and can't get passed it. Account password does not work.

Any ideas?
Have you owned the computer since new? As the post above says, this indicates there's a firmware password on the computer.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i had a firmware password issue on my macbook pro last year, and HAD to take it to an apple store (WITH a copy of my purchase receipt)... and left it overnight (and the firmware password was disabled). a nuisance, but resolved.

EDIT: you can try clicking on the padlock, and entering your firmware password (IF you originally set one up)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.