Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Looks like some nice CarPlay changes with the 13.4 beta.

Widescreen cars get a larger ratio for the map area instead of the current 50/50 split.

Dashboard view has been updated as well to increase the size of the music area when no routing is in progress.

The phone screen also takes up that same larger area now when in dashboard view.

And looks like API’s were updated to allow 3rd party apps (Google, Waze, etc.) in the dashboard view once 13.4 is release and they update their apps.

Still waiting for pubic release of the beta so I can try it out. Only wish I now had widescreens in my cars. :(

Reactions: MCKLMT and G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Glad to hear they're still working on making CarPlay better under iOS 13. I'm hoping they bring back showing the 3D buildings while zoomed out more, like at the end of iOS 12's lifespan. And also get rid of that odd visual glitch with the "static" inside black boxes in night mode.

Reactions: MCKLMT

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I replied back with details. A week later, Apple replied back, with a basically stock response, saying that they had corrected and improved directions to this location, but it doesn't look like they did anything at all.

Another POI, for which Apple had corrected entrance details around two months back, suddenly reverted back to the incorrect entrance two weeks ago.

I just got the same thing. However I looked at my reported issues and they still all exist. WTH?!?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Google Maps looks just as boring, I see. The only update to their CarPlay version I can see is that they moved the Google logo to the lower left of the screen.

06C390BD-B86C-40D0-93F3-1CFDCE0C606E.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MozMan68

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Double checked this morning after I have now received 3 notices from Apple that my reported Apple Maps issue has been fixed. Doesn’t mention which ones and I cannot find any that have actually been corrected.

I’ll keep an eye out ... ?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I read Justin O'Bierne's post about the Expansion #8 preview. Taking what he said into account, here's my idea on what we'll be seeing next. (He believes the British Isles will come first...data gathering was completed there first. And he also mentioned the point that it might be a benefit for the first release in Europe to be a region that is primarily English speaking...which was a footnote at the end of the post).

My guesses for the first two releases:
Having the British Isles done first would make the most sense...and despite the data collection for Germany being completed LAST...I think it's release might actually come second. Worth noting...These two would cover the most population.

My guesses for the last two releases:
I feel that the Italian Peninsula will be last, but when you look at the time frame of data collection for it and the Iberian Peninsula...I could actually see either release being interchangeable. Data collection began in the Italian Peninsula first...but completed in the Iberian Peninsula first. Worth noting...These two would cover the most area.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of pattern they do, because in order of data collection...it makes sense to say Germany would be last. But I have some strange feeling that they won't leave it until last.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
In iOS 13 is there a way to change Maps default to Satellite view instead of changing each time i open maps?

Selection seems to stick with my prior choice when viewing location in find my app or in messages app but not in main iphone map app.

Also, in iOS Dark mode can the actual map part in map view be adjusted to look like light mode in map view setting with just menus in dark mode? Map view in dark mode seems more like a night time driving mode.

Mac OS seems to be mixed, but I may have changed some settings with Onyx or similar that I uninstalled (didn't keep it very long & it's been awhile so not sure). Mac Maps is closer to what I want - keeping view I want from prior use/selection & map view being in light mode even if computer using dark mode. 'Find my' stays in selection I chose before, but it's map view matches mode of computer which makes map view too dark in Dark Mode. Messages map seems to stay in light mode version of map view regardless of anything else going on with other apps or computer setting.

Also a different issue for maps while using find my and messages for both iOS & Mac OS - labels still don't pop up business info in these 2 apps which would be helpful at times. Even adding a family location layer option to view within Maps would help.

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Apple Maps in iOS 13 has some issues at a base app level, unrelated to the wonderful new maps.

On iOS 12, whenever I opened Apple Maps, it would always remember how I last viewed the map, which was map view, in 3D mode. But in iOS 13, it always reverts back to 2D mode. The same thing happens in CarPlay. It's really annoying.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My rental car in Austin seems to be stuck in permanent dark mode on CarPlay no matter what I do (13.4 beta).

Other than that, lights and stop sign feature saving my life on unfamiliar roads. And directions have been spot on all day, even with highway construction showing up. Traffic as well.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
My rental car in Austin seems to be stuck in permanent dark mode on CarPlay no matter what I do (13.4 beta).

Other than that, lights and stop sign feature saving my life on unfamiliar roads. And directions have been spot on all day, even with highway construction showing up. Traffic as well.
Maybe the dark mode on CarPlay has something to do with the headlights on the car being turned on?

Reactions: gwhizkids

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There seems to have been an update sometime recently. When the new maps originally went live for the Midwest...there was an inaccuracy in the 3D view for some buildings. One of which was the county college, in which a LARGE building was added, but the map only showed outlines and 3D models for the buildings that already existed before that. If I recall correctly, Apple drove through our area before the construction even started. I was just looking around and noticed that the addition is now reflected on the map. (Maybe worth mentioning that the satellite view is out of date by a few years and shows this particular area from back before they even stared tearing up ground for construction. If this continues, I could see Apple's 3D standard view map being updated fairly often to reflect buildings and developments as accurately as possible. Which is interesting because according to Apple's site...my county was only driven through for the first round and we have yet to have a second round of data collection like other counties around the country have. We aren't even listed as having pedestrian surveys anytime soon.

I also noticed some adjustments to how the height is displayed. Our hospital, for instance, originally was displayed on the map as a "short" building. (It was showing as the same height as houses). It is now more representative of the fact that it is actually a 5 story building.

brianhoch

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I thought the same...having them completely off or in auto mode still gave me dark mode. And it was pretty sunny out on my last drive.
Some systems have an ambient light sensor. Some are driven off of the dash light level. If you dim your dash lights it should go to dark mode and if you brighten them it should go back to light mode.
My Mitsubishi uses ambient light (3rd party Alpine CarPlay system). My wife’s Subaru uses the dash dimmer. It took me forever to figure it out.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

The construction on the highways there near the airport is unreal.

Perhaps your car has its headlights on nonstop, making the phone think it was nighttime?

Edit: saw the above responses. Moral of the story: Never respond 24 hours later; someone’s already beaten you to the punch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.