Updated: "iPhone 5" sketches, iPhone 4S with 720p HD display!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ThatsMeRight, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Hi everybody,

I created some sketches based on the iPhone 5 leaks. If you're interested in the new iPhone, and you've got some time to waste, than this might be interesting to look at.

I created a few sketches: the first one is a sketch of the current iPhone 4S with a 3.5" display as we know it. The second one shows you the current iPhone 4S dimensions with the rumoured 4-inch display. The third one shows the rumoured "iPhone 5" dimensions (so the longer, stretched one as seen in the leaks) with the rumoured 4-inch display.

The fourth one will show you one advantage of the new 4-inch display. The final, fifth one, is just for fun. It shows you a 4.5" 720p HD display in an iPhone... with the same dimensions as the iPhone 4S.

The device dimensions and the screen size is on scale.

If you've got the time, give it a look and tell me what you think. :)

These sketches will give you a clear idea of how much bigger the next-gen iPhone will become. It will also give you a clear idea of about how much extra screen estate we get.

These sketches also show you that the rumoured 4-inch display could even fit in the current iPhone 4S.

Heck, these sketches also show you that a 4.5" 720p HD display could theoretically fit in the current iPhone 4S.

[​IMG]
    Rumoured "iPhone 5" dimensions with rumoured 4-inch display

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The extra height on the screen just doesn't do it for me. I would be okay with 16:9 on the phone if it was 4.5" or bigger. That way it really feels significantly better.

I had the Galaxy S2, and the size was great, I just did not like Android.

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

call me when apple gets rid of that ridiculously huge bezel.

4. ThatsMeRight, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I added "All sketches (black iPhones): I figured that iPhones, somehow, look more like iPhones when they are black - so I added "All sketches (black iPhones)". :)

Okay.

I wouldn't want any bigger than 4.5" - than you're nearing a tablet. I'd say 4.5" is the perfect limit (for a 16:9 display) and 4.3" is the limit for a 3:2 display.

I understand what you mean: this just seems like a very small improvement. We're talking here about an additional 0.5" of screen diagonal. I think they do this because they don't want to screw up the eco system too much. But hey, by changing the resolution and the screen diagonal, they're already screwing up almost every app out there. I'd say: if you screw it up, screw it up good. If you had the chance to punch a guy you hate without consequences, would you hit him softly, or would you hit him hard and straight in the face?

My sketches show even a 720p HD display is possible with the current iPhone 4S design.

Here is the iPhone 4S with a 720p HD display again, only this time in black.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 4S dimensions (imagine round corners) with a 1280 x 720, 4.5" display at 326 pixels per inch

5. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I updated every sketch :) I added the rounded corners (because honestly, they looked weird without the rounded corners) and I tweaked the colours and some other stuff. It looks much better now. :)

6. VivaManchester macrumors newbie

7. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Which one?

8. audix macrumors regular

Ew. The iPhone that looked like a mouse looked better.

9. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

10. OceanView macrumors 65816

looks old already.
    Sorry you had to put all that effort into an obsolete phone.

11. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

It would have been easier if you had just typed it here.