Updated my son's iphone 2G to 2.2.1 and now it wants activation (was using as ipod)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesarm97, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

My son got my old iPhone 2G when I upgraded to the 3G. I updated my service and he was using it with the deactivated SIM just for the ipod / wifi features and apps. I figured I would put on the latest and now it wants to be activated. In the past I would just move over my sim from the 3G and it would activate. Not this time. It wants to change my service to the 2G data plan. I did not go any further at this point. What can I do to get past this? Put on v2.2.1

- James

(another question while I am at this. I have developers sdk and want to develop a few apps, but was also thinking about using the old 2G to test on. Would I have similar problems activating if I put on 3.0 beta just to test apps with (no data, just wifi)?)

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's what I did that worked perfectly:

1. Run QuickPWN
    2. Let it jailbreak your device
    3. Option-Click (for Mac) or Shift-click (for PC) the UPDATE button in iTunes
    4. Choose 3.0 beta
    5. The iPhone will stay activated after updating to 3.0

Note: This trick only works on the 1st gen iPhone.

3. jamesarm97 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I found and ran QuickPWN before I got this reply. It downloaded 2.2.1 baseband then patched it and put it on the first gen iPhone. After that it seemed to run although I was scared because it would just stay on the apple logo screen. I finally pressed the home button and it and it started working.

I would really like to develop and test using 3.0 but I am now scared because this phone does not have an active sim card. You say now that I ran QuickPWN and got it working again with 2.2.1 (from 2.0) I should be able to put on beta 2 of 3.0? I already have the uuid in our developer portal.

- James

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, 3.0 will work fine. It will not brick your iPhone, so you have nothing to worry about. Just do an "update" when you install 3.0.

5. jamesarm97 thread starter macrumors 65816

So that is done by holding COMMAND while Clicking the Update button, not the Restore button, correct?

- James

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

you need to press Option while clicking update/restore and then find the 3.0 firmware to update to.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Exactly what I explained in post #2 :D

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yeah dude, but if you read the post above mine you'd see the Original Poster was still in some doubt as to what to do. So :D to you too!!

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was just confirming what you said. It's not my fault the OP didn't read what I said.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

i have 3.0 on my old 2g iphone. works fine. it always wants to be activated but i just ignore that. all my apps sync. i don't put any mp3/videos or whatever on it. just use it to browse the web or play with some apps.